cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX rebooting several times per day

glhanover
Level 1
Level 1

We have a PIX 501 6.3(5) 50 user license that is rebooting itself several times per day, causing brief outages. Only 9 out of 50 licenses are in use, and memory use is about 75% (12385952/16777216). I've enabled debug logging to remote syslog, and all I see is normal use and then messages stating that the inside and outside interfaces changed state to up.

The PIX is sitting on a shelf on a rack in a server room, so I'm hesitant to believe it is a shaken loose power connection that is causing reboots.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

5 Replies 5

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Gavin, go through the check list in this link bellow to beging narrowing down possible causes..

Possibly get a baseline in terms of is it a new occurrence that subddendly pix started rebooting several times a day, when did it started and what significant changes has the PIX had since this anomaly began.

see if there is any crashinfo saved do:

pix#show crashinfo

usually if not almost always a reboot caused by a crash would generated a crashinfo file, if none seen and you have rule out all the check points in this link.. it could well be power .. but watch closely PIX cpu usage during regular production hours, or even enviromental temperature as I have seen pix rebooting due to high temp rooms.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008009491c.shtml

Jorge Rodriguez

full crash dump can be seen here

http://pastebin.com/f6a42f3a0

I would say it started the reboot problems within the last month, if not sooner. At least I don't recall it being this often until very recently. Now it is happening a dozen times per day. At first we thought it was a problem with the internet service, but discovered yesterday it was the PIX rebooting.

The only changes i can think of in the last 3 months was we changed from a T1 provider to Cox business cable, and we have a new employee (small company, so this doesn't happen often).

Do you have smartnet for the firewall to open a TAC case and provide them with crashinfo file.. if firewall began having hardware issues with smarnet you get a replacement .

Jorge Rodriguez

No, we do not have a current smartnet contract.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card