cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Calling PSTN, Ring issue (CM 6.0.1 with h323 GW configuration)

david.simon.gld
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have this issue with anyone calling out to some numbers the Cisco handset (calling) will not ring however the called person (called) does hear the ringing. The call does connect if the remote (calling) person pickup. Now this is random and it is persistent with particular numbers. I have seen a pattern, however. The numbers that do not ring are mostly or even all of them long-distance. Some 800 numbers and the cell phone numbers with ring back tones will not ring. Our setup is centralized call manager with h323 GW and with 4 PRI trunks. We have tried many configurations which did not work. This issue is consistent across my other h323 GW (remote sites). I called our provider and they are telling me that I have to configure the GW to setup calls with Cut Through. Here is what I have tried so far.

config 1:

dial-peer voice 4 pots

voice cut-through alert

description PSTN-Long Distance

preference 1

destination-pattern 91[2-9]..[2-9]......

port 0/0/1:23

forward-digits 11

config 2:

dial-peer voice 4 pots

preference 1

progress_ind alert enable 8

progress_ind progress enable 8

progress_ind connect enable 8

forward-digits 11

config 3:

dial-peer voice 4 pots

tone ringback alert-no-PI

preference 1

progress_ind setup enable 3

progress_ind alert enable 8

progress_ind progress enable 8

progress_ind connect enable 8

forward-digits 11

4 Replies 4

You can try any number of these things:

Router(config)#voice call send-alert

Router(config)#voice rtp send-rcv

On the H323 gateway in CUCM, check MTP required, and then check 'outbound fast start enabled'

Also make sure that your H323 gateway has an annunciator available in it's MRGL. Check to make sure that the codec for the call does not require a transcoder if the annunciator is in a different region as well.

You can try switching codecs to see if it makes a difference (sometimes you'll have early media problems with G711 but not G729 and vice versa).

Under your pots dial peer, you can try this hidden command so that the gateway generates ringback:

dial-peer voice x pots

progress_ind alert strip 8

hth,

nick

Nic thank you, you just solved my issue here. I have been trying to get this working for a long time now and none of the support I tried could figure it out. What really fixed it was all under the CM GW configuration. I selected the MRGL for it then selected Media Termination Point Required, then finally enable outbound FastStart. Only this setup fixed it, I did not need to do anything with the GW router. Infect I striped all the call setup commands I had tried. One question, I don't understand why MTPR is needed? With out this it will not work. Also I did not get what you mean by the “annunciator available in its MRGL" the MRGL configuration is very simple and does not have any annunciator option.

Hi David,

Glad I could help. Sometimes there are ringback problems if we do slow start and the provider sends us in-band information (media) for ringback.

Since we haven't established media, we are unable to play the media (ringback) yet. When we do MTP with outbound fast start, media is set up before the call starts and we can play media before both sides pick up.

hth,

nick

Hi Team

I had this problem days ago and I fixed it adding "voice cut-through alert" on the dial-peer

dial-peer voice 9 pots

voice cut-through alert

translation-profile outgoing MOVEL

destination-pattern 8T

port 0/0/0:15

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: