Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper Shutting Down Procedures

dina.ihab
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i have a cisco catalsyt 6513 , and i was wondering what is the proper way to shut down this core switch as i dont thing that closing the power supply of that switch is the best solution.

if anyone could help me out with this i'd be really gratful

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dina,

actually there is no shutdown option.

Verify that you saved the configuration and then you can power off the switch

Hope to help

Giuseppe

i just thought with all of the processing done on that switch that should have a procedure like at least for an example shutting the ports or something

and thanks alot for your fast reply

Kerem Gursu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dina,

There are no physical prerequisites before shutdown process , but if you are using this switch as a service switch , there might be some problems with clients that are connected to the switch , after you "power on". Make sure that you have the backup of the current configuration. Most of the problems after reboot are duplex problems , so I would recommend getting a port status output before power off. Also mac addresses and arp table might be a necessity if you encounter any connectivity issues. It would be very helpful to figure out the old port , vlan etc.

HTH

Kerem

kerem ,

i dont know what to say , i'm very very pleased you helped me out , i have already done the things you have told me and i backed up all the data i need , i'm just performing a test on what will happen if the LAN Goes down

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card