Views
Helpful
Replies

interdomain multicast

gary.tf.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently I'm implementing a project of inter-AS multicasting. Within each AS, there are two RP configured with the same IP, using the Anycast method to provide redundancy.

Between different AS, MSDP will be used to connect the RP in different AS. How should the MSDP connections be configured to provide fully resilience? Should I use a fully mesh method (i.e. each RP in one AS had MSDP sessions with every RP in the other AS )

Anyone had implemented similar solutions ?

4 Replies 4

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Anycast-RP is for Intra-Domain Multicast, In Anycast RP 2 Or More routers configured with the same loopback interfaces, Anycast RP provides Redundancy along with load sharing Capabilities. In case Of a failure On a router , Normal IGP detects the failure and reconverge to the Second RP router.

In MSDP (Inter Domain Multicast), 2 Or more RP routers in Different AS's are configured to share Active Source information for every single administrative domain.

HTH

Mohamed

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gary,

You could simply have two MSDP sessions between the two domains (one to each RP).

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gary,

you can take advantage of MSDP mesh groups and you need to use unique ip addresses to exchange messages.

As already stated Anycast RP gives you redundancy within an AS. you can use multiple MSDP sessions between the two ASes but be aware that you need to have a primary path and a secondary path between the two ASes or the RPF check can fail.

(this is for link redundancy)

MSDP requires to use also other protocols like MP-BGP address-family ipv4 multicast in order to pass the RPF check

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/configuration/guide/imc_msdp_im_pim_sm_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1056192

Hope to help

Giuseppe

gary.tf.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all. I'm trying to test the configurations

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card