Helpful
Replies

Network Design:

colmgrier
Level 1
Level 1

Core Layer: Two 6509 switches

Access Layer: 3 Edge switches (c3560)

Customers existing network consists of "Design1". Is it possible to change this network design to Design2"

What is the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

how about design3 (see attached). I will enable STP as well.

Thanks for your reply.

The customer only has two fiber links back to main comms room.

totally agree with Jon and if you the customer can't afford additional fiber runs, I will stick with design2. But try to convince the customer to spend some $ on the upgrade.

Etienne

Not sure what you mean but is it possible ?. Yes all designs are possible. Are the 3560 switches clustered or not ?

Certainly either design 2 or 3 is better than design 1 for obvious reasons ie. the failure of the right hand 6500 in D1 takes out all the access switches.

Design 3 has better potential throughput from the 3560's to the 6500 especially if you "load-balanced" odd and even vlans across the links. Note i'm assuming you are proposing to use L2 from 3560's to 6500's ?

Edit - sorry, for some reason i thought Etienne had posted the original thread. My mistake.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: