Tunnel keepalive supported IOS

Unanswered Question
Jan 21st, 2009
User Badges:

I have 2620XM router with IOS 12.2 with crypto feature set.

I want to enable keepalive on tunnel interface for the tunnel interface to go down incase of link failure.

The problem I have current IOS version doesn't support the keepalive command on Tunnel interface. I can't upgrade to newer version with this feature set due to memory limitation.

Is there a way I can achieve this functionality without having to upgrade router.

IOS version. C2600-IK9S-M ver 12.2(40a)

Memory 64 and Flash 16

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Wed, 01/21/2009 - 09:24
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Muhammad

There is not any way to get that particular functionality where the tunnel interface will go down when there is a link failure without upgradeing the router to a version of code that implements that feature. You might come close if you could run some type of oject tracking and track an address on the remote router. But I am not sure that the version of code that you are running supports that kind of object tracking. So you might need a code upgrade to do that one.

I run a lot of GRE tunnels and run EIGRP over the tunnels. I track the EIGRP neighbor status and that gives almost the same results as tracking the interface status. If the EIGRP neighbor on the tunnel goes down then there is a problem in the tunnel, and it is almost the same as directly detecting the failure in the tunnel.

HTH

Rick

Actions

This Discussion