cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade

jones_mj14
Level 1
Level 1

I will be upgrading out Cisco 6509 IOS this weekend, and just wanted to ask a quick question to make sure that i have this right!

looking at the running configuration on the Cisco switch it shows the following

boot system flash sup-bootflash:c6sup22-js-mz.121-26.E6.bin

boot system bootflash:c6msfc2-dsv-mz.121-11b.E4.bin

boot bootldr bootflash:c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-11b.E4.bin

If i do a sh ver, on the switch, it shows that i am using sup-bootflash:c6sup22-js-mz.121-26.E6.bin".

We have bought some new PCIMA Cards, and was going to place the new IOS on these. I will be hoping to upgrade to 12.1(27b)E4.

If i do the following command with the IOS on the new flash cards will this boot up correctly?

boot system flash sup-bootflash:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E4.bin

or should it be

boot system flash bootflash:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E4.bin

Many thanks in advance, please let me know, so that i can ammed my plans

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marc

if you are putting the new IOS on a PCMCIA card then this will either be

slot

or

disk

you can identify which by typing "dir /all"

so lets assume it's disk0 you would then need to have

boot system flash disk0:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E4.bin

and you need to make sure this is the first "boot system .." string in your running config.

Jon

Hi Jon

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its slot0

so i assume the its then boot system flash slot0:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E4.bin

how do you make sure its the first in the boot system string? sorry if its obvilous question!

Thanks

marc

Marc

"so i assume the its then boot system flash slot0:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E4.bin"

Correct.

"how do you make sure its the first in the boot system string? sorry if its obvilous question!"

copy the existing entries to notepad. Put your entry with slot0 at the top. Remove the entries from the running-config and then paste back in from notepad.

Jon

Many thanks Jon

I am sure its going to well, i'll let you know how it goes on monday

thanks

Marc

No problem. Hope it goes well.

Jon

Hi Jon

It failed ;-(

I put my new flash card in and typed in dir /all and it would not reconise that anything was in slot0! if i typed in dir disk0, it showed my IOS. Typing in dir flash, it said that there was an error.

Rather than muck around, i aborted the uprade.

the command of boot system flash disk0 wouldn't work. Any idea's?

Marc

Where and how did you format the new flash? If you formatted it on a non-6500 device that may explain why the 6500 could not read the new flash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Orginally i didn't format it on the 6500, but in the end i formatted it on the 6500 and copied the IOS on to it. But still no luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: