cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Weird MWI Issue

jbillingsley
Level 1
Level 1

I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue before. I am troubleshooting an issue where several users MWI lights are either always on or always off. I've confirmed through Unity that everything seems to be working. I can issue a refresh on the Subscriber Messages page and watch in Port Monitor the MWI cancel or set call go out, but it has no effect on the user's phone.

After researching this further I found that these users can dial the MWI off extension with no results, the light remains on or off. I've verified that the MWI on/off DNs are in the AllPhones partition and these users have a CSS set that can call the AllPhones partition. The user doesn't get a fast busy when dialing. I've tried upgrading the firmware on these phones and rebooting the CCM cluster, but the issue still persists. I've also opened a TAC case, but they've provided very little help. I was hoping some of you guys/girls out there have some other things to try!

It should be noted that this issue is affecting about 12 users out of 150.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jacob,

The fact that these phones MWI Lamps do not turn On and Off when dialing the MWI On/Off DN's would seem to be a CSS issue. Can you check the CSS assigned under the DN itself rather than the Device CSS.

Hope this helps!

Rob

jbillingsley
Level 1
Level 1

Rob,

The CSS on the line is exactly the same on this is applied to the phone. I would assume that if I couldn't call the MWI on/off number then I would get a fast busy. Instead I just get a disconnect right after the call is connected.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jacob,

Yes, that makes sense (was worth a try). One thing I noticed is that the Partition you selected for the MWI On/Off DN's is not what is recommended in the integration guides. These ports should be in the partition that you set up for the Voice Mail Pilot Number. For example, "VMPilotNumberPT. See below;

To Specify MWI Directory Numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In Cisco Unified CallManager Administration, click Voice Mail > Message Waiting.

Step 2 On the Find and List Message Waiting Numbers page, click Add New.

Step 3 On the Message Waiting Configuration page, enter the following settings for turning MWIs on.

Settings for Turning MWIs On

Message Waiting Number

Enter the unique extension that turns MWIs on.

Partition

Click the name of the partition that you set up for the voice mail pilot number. For example, click "VMPilotNumberPT."

Description

Enter DN to turn MWIs on or another description.

Message Waiting Indicator

Click On.

Calling Search Space

Click a calling search space that is used by user phones.

Step 4 Click Save.

Step 5 Click Add New.

Step 6 Enter the following settings for turning MWIs off.

Settings for Turning MWIs Off

Message Waiting Number

Enter the unique extension that turns MWIs off.

Partition

Click the name of the partition that you set up for the voice mail pilot number. For example, click "VMPilotNumberPT."

Description

Enter DN to turn MWIs off or another description.

Message Waiting Indicator

Click Off.

Calling Search Space

Click a calling search space that is used by user phones.

Step 7 Click Save.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/integration/cucm_sccp/guide/cucintcucmskinny030.html

What are you running, UC or full blown Unity? And what version of CUCM?

Rob

jbillingsley
Level 1
Level 1

We're running full blown unity 5.0 with CUCM 6.1.1

Thank you for providing that documentation, but I'm not in a position to re-configure the MWI on/off partition at this point.

Logically, this doesn't make sense though. I would defiantly agree to re-configure the partition if this wasn't working globally, but with only a few users it doesn't make sense.

Hi Jacob,

OK....lets try to think this through :)

Is there anything different about the config's for these 12 Users?

Do they have a different CSS than working phones?

Are these 12 DN's listed in the Unassigned DN report?

Can you duplicate this issue by building a new phone with the same Unity and CUCM settings as the non-working phones?

I'll search for some more answers here, as there must be a reasonable explanation.

Rob

Rob, wanted to follow up on this since you were so helpful before.

It did end up being a partition/CSS issue. I overlooked the fact that there were CTI Route Points in a different partition configured as the same DN as these users extension.

We found that the CSS on the VM Ports and the MWI On/Off extension had the partition that contained the CTI Route Points listed first. We ended up fixing this by creating a new CSS with the partitions selected in the preferred order and applying this to the MWI On/Off extension and the VM Ports.

Thanks again for your help earlier in the thread

jbillingsley
Level 1
Level 1

Rob,

Building a new Test phone as we speak. Going to do some testing, then try to set it up identical to one of the ones that had the issue.

They have the same CSS as other phones that MWI is working for. I just went line by line through their phone and DN configuration and can't find any significant differences.

Will let you know how the testing goes. Thanks for your help so far.

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for posting back with your resolution to this! Great work sorting this out. +5 points for this kind gesture that will help others going forward :)

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: