Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Noob

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

All,

I know this might seem very novice but here goes. If I have a Windows 2003 server acting as a DHCP server with 2 different scopes (1 for computers, 1 for IP phones) and the phones and computers are on different VLANS how do I get the phones to pull IP addresses from the correct scope and vice-versa if they are both pulling from teh same server?

Thanks in advance!

All replies rated

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

the hosts in the same vlan as the dhcp server will get a dhcp request that is broadcasted while the dhcp request from a vlan that is different from the DHCP offer will get a unicast request that will come from the dhcp relay agent which is signified by ip helper-address. This logically will be the way for the dhcp server to tell which scope to assign to what request.

Thanks. Just to clarify, since the DHCP server will be handing out IP addresses for all vlans I just need to configure each vlan to use an IP helper-address that is within the same scope as the one I want to use for the other vlan correct?

The svi(interface vlan) that is in the different subnet than the DCHP server will each need an ip helper-address. For example, dhcp server (1.1.1.x) is in vlan 1 (1.1.1.0/24) and the hosts are in vlan 2 and vlan 3 under interface vlan 2 and vlan 3 should should have "ip helper-address 1.1.1.x"

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card