cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TESTING WAN INTERFACES

amouralamein
Level 1
Level 1

I have been testing 2610 and 2611 routers (The only connection is through console port and ethernet to the TFTP server).i have not connected the ISDN, ASDL or SERIAL INTERFACES with any cable. The routers recognize all the Ethernet and WAN interfaces. The ethernet LED is OK but the WAN cards LED are off. I have configured the interfaces of these WAN cards(A BRI, ISDN and SERIAL interfaces) with IP address, when i use the command Show interface i can see all the interfaces are UP and line protocol is UP. Is this enough to testify that the WAN interfaces are GOOD or is there any other technical way to test these interfaces. Does it need to connect all these WAN cards and PING them or is there a command which will be enough to prove that the WAN interfaces are all GOOD and not FAULTY. Can i use loopback command without using cables to test these interfaces? Please i need your help.

Best Regards

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, not diagnostic is 100% sure unless you connect the interface to something. That is the interface can be faulty passing all software diagnostic tests.

Depending on the interface, you connect differently for testing, eg serial using a null modem cable, ISDN BRI to a BRI port set as network-side, Ethernet and T1 ause a loopback plug, etc.

Thanks for your help

Hi,

Can some one tell what is the diffrence between Data pattern [0xABCD]: 0x0000 (Data pattern [0xABCD]: 0x0000)

Router#ping ip

Target IP address: 172.22.53.1

Data pattern [0xABCD]: 0x0000

0x1111

0xffff

0xaaaa

??????

thanks in advance

ujil

These are just bit patterns to fill the payload with. Certain patterns are better "clock-breakers" than others, but the difference shows only on marginal circuits. That is, in practice you can ignore the pattern in everyday testing.

Hello ujil

I think oxABCD refers to hexadecimal and that

is 0x0000, 0x means the digits which follows such as

1111 or ffff or aaaa are hexadecimals digits.

each of these they translate a certain decimal value.

amouralamein
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: