cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871 Nat Translation

johnakeating
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 871 128MB Ram It is running our main DSL line with about 500 computers behind it.... what would the max sessions you think one of these could handle I was looking in show ip nat translations and found about 1600 current translations

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

A session should take less than 100 bytes - sorry, cant find an explicit reference now, anyway you see that can you can host many, many more.

However, the 871 is not the right class for 500 users, so you should look at ISR series routers (CA budget permitting :)

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

I would agree..

What do you think would be able to manage this amount of connections? do you think a 1841 could do the job?

The 871 is lagging after a long day of keeping up with the nat translations. causing extreme latency up to 1sec when it is usually around 15ms

Certainly a 1841 would be better, but don't expect a dramatic change. In reality you want all types to be stable first.

What exact IOS are you running now? There was a bug causing slow connections after time, but can't find it now.

c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T3.bin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card