Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking LMS 3.0.1

stesarova
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have problem with User Tracking subnets.

My customer has added all devices manually in Common Services. He wants use user tracking, but some subnets are not visible in User Tracking. I have realized, the problem is in Administration UT - Configure Subnet Aquisition. There are only several subnets available. Common Services manages more devices than is visible in user tracking. Campus Manager has Enable auto mode for data collection.

Has anybody some idea, where could be a problem? Thanks Sarka

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, disable UT subnet acquisition. Leave things to default which is to acquire users on any subnet. Next, pick one MAC address which is missing from UT. Track down the switch to which that MAC is directly connected, and check to make sure that switch is in DCR, and has been properly data collected by Campus Manager. If so, it will appear with a green which icon on the topology map.

If it is there, check your SNMP credentials for this switch. If you are using v1/v2c, make sure the community string does NOT contain a '@'. If you are using v3, make sure you have added each vlan context to your SNMPv3 group.

I have disabled subnet acquisition all the time.

in mark: Campus User Tracking - Administration - Aquisition - Configure subnet Aquisition

is configured: Perform acquisition on all subnets.

All settings are default.

The problematic switches are in topology services map present.

When I try to do Perform Data collection from right button on the image of the switch in topology map it is performed.

I have checked access for device by checking device credential and this report was without problems.

But

When I want start searching the switch in User Tracking.

Aquisition Actions:

I have selected (button select offers all boxes) the problematic box from the available list and Start Acquisition

I have recieved this error message:

Failed to start acquisition: Device unreachable. Please enter a valid device.

Box is reachable by previous descriptions.

Instead of doing that, go to Campus Manager > Home, and start a full acquisition. If the device has been data collected, and is currently showing up as green on the topology map, then UT should try and communicate with it.

At the same time, start a sniffer trace of all UDP port 161 traffic to this one switch. When acquisition is finished, check the capture to see what UT is doing. That will help rule out reachability problems.

I have installed ethereal on the server and I have tried to capture communication UDP 161 on the problematic switch during aquisition. But there are no data in cap file, when I have filtered selected ip address.

When I have captured communication on switch which is displayed end hosts from UT properly, there are some correct packets on port UDP 161.

When I have captured communication on switches during snmpwalk, there is occured correct communication on both switches (one switch with functional UT and one switc wit non functional UT)

I have configured in UT Administration, Acquisition in Configure Subnet Acquisition:

Perform acquisition on all subnets

But when I want to see the configuration in

possibility: Perform subnet based acquisition

There are only several subnets available and it is not possible to add it there. I think there is the main reason of this problem.

Do you have any idea, how to insert other subnets used in network to this list?

Thank you very much for your help

Sarka

Go to Campus Manager > Admin > Debugging Options > User Tracking Server. Select "user tracking" from the list of debugging modules. Run a full UT acquisition from Campus Manager > Home. Post the ut.log along with the hostname and IP address of one switch which is not showing any users in UT.

Hi,

I have done all steps, what you have advised me. I have selected a few lines about selected device 10.106.210.19. Here is the result: (whole device is in attachment)

2009/01/26 11:07:43 main EvalGroup: EvalGroup for VMPSMajor is 33 percent complete

2009/01/26 11:08:01 EvalTask-vmpsadmin-03 SMFContainer: Mapping com.cisco.nm.ani.server.vmpsadmin.VmpsAdminSMFGetPortStatus to com.cisco.nm.ani.server.devices.C5K.C5KVmpsAdminSMFGetPortStatus

2009/01/26 11:08:01 EvalTask-vmpsadmin-03 SMFContainer: Instantiating com.cisco.nm.ani.server.devices.C5K.C5KVmpsAdminSMFGetPortStatus

2009/01/26 11:08:01 EvalTask-vmpsadmin-03 VmpsAdminSMFGetPortStatus: Getting the Port Status information for container(Device,10.106.210.19 hostname: c3550_krom_3)

2009/01/26 11:08:02 EvalTask-vmpsadmin-03 VmpsAdminSMFGetPortStatus: Port Status for container(Device,10.106.210.19 hostname: c3550_krom_3) completed

2009/01/26 11:08:02 EvalTask-vmpsadmin-03 EvalGroup: EvalGroup for VMPSMajor is 46 percent complete

Thank you

Sarka

Please post the NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/vlanData.xml, portData.xml, and RouterData.xml files.

There are the asked files.

sarka

stesarova
Level 1
Level 1

I have found some error in file Cmapps.log. I have attached the error part of this file.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: