cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ringing on an external wallmounted speaker

damien
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to have a wall mounted speaker that rings for external calls.  If anyone has done this what equiptment have you used and how have you configured this scenario.

14 Replies 14

Hi Damien,

Cisco does not provide an external loud speaker. There are, however,  several available via 3rd party vendors which would typically require either FXS or ATA port connectivity.  For example, one could, in the UC500, have a shared line appearance with an FXS port (or ATA) and connect some kind of external ringer (large bell or whatever) to the line - that way it will ring at the same time as the phone.

Hope this helps,

Marcos

I have a customer who is looking to do exactly the same thing.  What type of configuration would the FXS port need on the UC520?

Checj this out:

FXS/FXO Interface and Interconnect

This is on this site (https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10460) under VODs and Tutorials.   My teammate makes some very loud noises with this rig.  You can too.....:-)

Steve D

stacy.thompson
Level 3
Level 3

Does Cisco have a specific brand or device ( or do any dealers) recommended for an external warehouse buzzer /ringer on the UC560?

I see the Krown device, but it appears to connect with a handset.  We were looking at Wheelock UTA-VPS universal ringer....

We're looking to send night bell to the FXS extension and when the warehouse folsk here the buzzer/ringer off the FXS, they know to go pickup a caller.

1. Can you have a FXS extension/port react to the night bell?

2. When you go to Pickup the night bell ringing, you pickup the night bell extension- not the FXS extension correct ?  or I suppose I would if that's the only extension set to receive night bell....

Thanks, Stacy

Can someone please revisit this post?  I need to setup an external ringer to ring when a group of IP phones ring so the staff knows there is a call.

Hi Stacey, have you gotten this to work?

Thanks,

Mario

Instead of configuring night bell could you create a shared extension between the FXS port that the ringer is connected to and an IP Phone? When you hear the ringer go off all you need to do is answer the call on the IP phone.

--
Anthony Yeung
Technical Marketing Engineer
Small Business  Technolog Group
antyeung@cisco.com
Phone:  469.255.7597

Hi Mario,

Yes we got this to work. The customer purchased a Boden NR100.  They had existing Bogen amps and speakers, so they only needed to add the night ringer device.     I added the FXS port's extension to receive night bell....when it triggers, they can dial PickUp + the FXS extension ... but I created a FAC where they can dial #9 to pick it up.

Connect fxs à NR100 à to the existing speaker/horn AMP à to the speakers/horns.

Hope this helps!

Stacy

Hi Stacy,

Did you connect the the NR100 to an FXS port on a UC500 device?  I attempted to connect to the NR100 to an FXS port on a UC500 and it would not activate the ringer.  According the the documentation from Bogen it requires 90V to activate.  It is my understanding that the FXS ports on the UC500 do not send 90V and cannot be adjusted to send more ring voltage.

Thanks,

Mario

hi mario,

did you get this working..

thanks

vijay

Yes I had to purchase a ring booster from Viking to get enough ring voltage to activate the NR100.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

In case this is useful to others, recently I have used an algo loud ringer for this purpose with a an FXS port. Basically I have configured single number reach on an IP phone to ring the loud ringer on an FXS port e.g. 301 after 1 second. Being a manufacturing facility they wanted it louder so I used an Algo horn as well.

So if you want basic loud ringer you can use the Algo Duet Plus:

http://www.algosolutions.com/products/Audible-and-Visual-Alerting/1825-Duet-Plus-Loud-Ringer-Paging-Amplifier.html

If you want a louder ringer you can attach an Algo Horn 1185 to the Duet Plus.

http://www.algosolutions.com/products/Audible-and-Visual-Alerting/1185-horn-paging-speaker.html

Hope this helps.

Hello Craig

I am trying to get this working and when I connect the external analog bell that I have to the FXS port, it stays off hook [ so the telefone line is engaged].

I am using CME7.1 on a cisco router, with a SCCP internal dn shared with an FXS port [ that has a basic BT analog loud bell ringer]. I have configured the FXS port for STCAPP, so it is controlled by SCCP, as a shared extension from CME.

If I leave the bell disconnected, ring the extension and then connect the port during ringing, the bell rings for a second, then it goes off hook [ there is voltage and signaling happening on the FXS port].

I haven't much experience with this stuff and am now thinking of connecting to the speaker on the phones with an audio Jack and then connecting an external speaker to that. This would serve two functions. It would ring over the external speaker and I could also create a paging system by using the paging function in CME.

Could you post the configs that you used to implement your solution. I am wondering if I am very close, or not.

Thanks

Nick

Not sure if this will help, but when a call is made to production on 211, the loud ring will also activate.

stcapp supplementary-services

port 0/0/0

fallback-dn 301

!

voice-port 0/0/0

cptone GB

timeouts ringing infinity

caller-id enable

!

dial-peer voice 1 pots

service stcapp

port 0/0/0

!

!

ephone-dn  5  dual-line

number 301 no-reg primary

label 301

description PhoneA Analog

name PhoneA Analog

!

ephone-dn  20  dual-line

number 211 no-reg primary

pickup-group 1

label 211

description Production

name Tips Production

mobility

snr 301 delay 1 timeout 40 cfwd-noan 199

corlist incoming user-internal

translation-profile incoming CallBlocking

! stcapp supplementary-services
port 0/0/0
  fallback-dn 301
!
voice-port 0/0/0
cptone GB
timeouts ringing infinity
caller-id enable
!
dial-peer voice 1 pots
service stcapp
port 0/0/0
!
!
ephone-dn  5  dual-line
number 301 no-reg primary
label 301
  description PhoneA Analog
name PhoneA Analog
!
ephone-dn  20  dual-line
number 211 no-reg primary
pickup-group 1
label 211
description Production
name Tips Production
mobility
snr 301 delay 1 timeout 40 cfwd-noan 199
corlist incoming user-internal
translation-profile incoming CallBlocking
!

Thanks Craig

Do you not have more configuration than that for the scapp supplementary-services? [ are the fxs ports and the CME on one device for you?]

Also, how do the associated ephone config look? Are you not required to use a MAC address on the FXS port, to communicate with that port?

[ I guess your implementation is not putting the fsx port under sccp control?, but just forwarding to it.]

I will give this a go. Thanks for posting.

Nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: