Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IVR/Stretched VSAN

I have a requirement wherein we need to backup data from our production DC to DR DC,in this the production server should be able to see the lilbrary located in DR.Currently we have a seperate VSAN for both dc..Can someone please advise me which option would be best suitable,stretched VSAN or IVR?

6 Replies 6

inch
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I guess there is a few questions one would need to know first.

1. What is the distance between the two data centres?

2. What technology are you using for san extension (dark fibre, dwdm, fcip etc)

3. What sort of backups/transfers will be happening?

4. Is the remote library a physical library or a VTL?

5. What type MDS' do you have?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Fidn below the answers..Thanks for assisting

1. What is the distance between the two data centres?

15kms

2. What technology are you using for san extension (dark fibre, dwdm, fcip etc)

DWDM

3. What sort of backups/transfers will be happening?

All sort of backups

4. Is the remote library a physical library or a VTL?

it's a physical IBM library

5. What type MDS' do you have?

MDS 9513

G'day,

15km's is fine - just make sure you have enough buffer credits for your bandwidth :)

"all sorts of backups" ok :)

physical library - cool

MDS 9513 - Alright, IVR is going to be quite expensive on a 9513 chassis (unless you already have a license).

If you have the license I would setup a "remote/stretched" vsan which will join the two sites via a port-channel.

I would then use IVR to transmit traffic from VSAN X on the production site to VSAN Y on the DR site.

If you don't have a license and cannot afford one - create the new "remote/stretched" vsan and add some ports from the library and the media/backup server to each vsan.

Make sure you have your environment setup to deal with joining two switch fabrics (see cisco docs and/or the many threads on the forum or your local Cisco staff).

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for your help...It answered all of my questions except this one,i do have IVR license for my MDS9513 switch

"If you have the license I would setup a "remote/stretched" vsan which will join the two sites via a port-channel"

If i have a license then why do i need a stretched VSAN? do i still need the same VSAN's on both sites?

G'day,

I would create the stretched VSAN to specifically carry IVR traffic to ensure a loss of the DWM link does not cause any disruption.

For example:

Site 1)

VSAN 11 - production traffic fabric A

VSAN 21 - production traffic fabric B

VSAN 31 - development traffic fabric A

VSAN 41 - development traffic fabric B

VSAN 900 - IVR fabric A

VSAN 901 - IVR fabric B

Site 2)

VSAN 12 - production traffic fabric A

VSAN 22 - production traffic fabric B

VSAN 32 - development traffic fabric A

VSAN 42 - development traffic fabric B

VSAN 900 - IVR fabric A

VSAN 901 - IVR fabric B

This just creates a little safety net to ensure you do not get any fabric disruptions to production data if A, there is a configuration error and B if there is any faults with links.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Andrew,that really answered my question..Thanks very much..