Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I'm wondering about some devices.

and can't get point of it.

I assume all the device below will connect to WS-4507R device,. but I dont

know why these are nessasary,

Could you explain it simply?

WS-X4515 (Core SW sup) <- what's mean of sup, when does this device use?

WS-X4548-GB-RJ45( Core SW Giga Inline for SVR) <- What is Inline and SVR mean? and is it kinds of cable?

CON-CSSPD-WS-C4507 <- When this device use?

WS-X4306-GB (Core SW Giga Uplink port)

<- What is purpose to use this device?

3 Replies 3

Hi Sangbong,

1) WS-X4515 (Core SW sup) <- what's mean of sup, when does this device use?

ANS - The 4500 series of switch is a chassis basaed modular switch. There are three main components -

Chassis - The cabinate which holds all other parts of the switch

Supervisor Engine (SUP) - This is the mind of the switch. This is the device which takes all decisions and does the processing. The IOS also gets loaded on the SUP engine. It performs all software and hardware processes.

Line Card - These modules goes in to the slots of the switch chassis. They prvovide you with a wider range of interfaces.

2) WS-X4548-GB-RJ45( Core SW Giga Inline for SVR) <- What is Inline and SVR mean? and is it kinds of cable?

ANS - This is a 48 port line card. It gives you 48 10/100/1000 RJ-45 interfaces. It requires regular cat5 ethernet cable.

no idea what SVR means. Where have you got this output/information from?

3) CON-CSSPD-WS-C4507 <- When this device use?

ANS - This is not a device. This is the support part number for your switch. If you purchase this part number then you are entitled for support from Cisco.

4) WS-X4306-GB (Core SW Giga Uplink port)

<- What is purpose to use this device?

ANS - This is the line card which goes in teh chassis giving you 6 GBIC interfaces. These are typically fiber interfaces where you plug GBIC modules. There are a variety of GBIC modules available supporting different fiber standatds. Most probably in your setup these interfaces will be used to connect other switches over fiber (by reading the description).

HTH

-> Sushil

Dear Sushil. your explanation is quite good.

and very helpful. Thank you so much your response. :-)

No problem sir, glad that I was of a little help :)

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: