Location tracking

mark.cronin
Level 2
Level 2

Hello

(We are getting a site survey)

Please see attached document

I need clarification on Location tracking

I am putting in an 802.11b/g wireless network to provide good data throughput for wireless clients

I also have a functional requirement to locate Rogue APs. At present the Location tracking device is unable to accurately detect rogues as they were deployed for coverage only. The network operators are spending a lot of time investigating the threat that rogues are on the floor only to find they are outside the building

I need to justify the expenditure of placing APs on the perimeter so that it's easy to identify if a Rogue AP is internal or external. If it's internal I am not that concerned with the accuracy as this will be taken care of with a visit to site by the network security team to investigate.

The AP deployment will be more of a coverage deployment in the centre of the floor

And a location tracking deployment on the perimeter.

I am considering putting the APs in monitor mode as I believe the receive sensitivity is increased in this mode so I will not require as many APs on the perimeter.

Does this sound like a good approach?

Can this be achieved without placing APs on the perimeter and calibrating the Location Appliance?

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mark,

Placing the ap's in the perimeter will give you a better chance at knowing if the rouges are in or outside the perimeter wall. I wouldn't say it is 100% but it will give you a better reading that what you already have deployed. Again a site survey will really tell you if your mock up location will work or not, I think the biggest thing is that from every location you see at least 3 ap's at a -75db or better. Putting the ap's in monitor mode is fine especially on the right side of your drawing where you have dense areas. On the left side of your drawing, you can maybe put those in local mode to help with coverage and density if that is an issue. Calibration of the LA so far to me is a 50/50.... I have calibrated floor in which the location was worse than if I didn't and vice-versa.

You can also place your perimeter and then move your existing in more of a uniform pattern. Again... this depends on the survey... you might not need as much.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Here is an example.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card