Views
Helpful
Replies

Static ARPA problem

phil_carter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have configured a static arp entry for a NLB address using the below config on a 4510 running IOS cat4000-i5k91s-mz.122-25.EW:

arp 10.70.4.97 xxxx.xxxx.xxxx ARPA

I cannot ping the IP within the core that I have configured the ARPA entry on (from any VLAN including it's own)... however, from another network that is firewalled off and physically totally separate, I can ping to it fine.

Has anyone seen this problem before and can adise why this is happening and how to resolve?

Thanks

Phil

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Phil,

there is a chance the entry is now wrong and needs to be updated, verify on the other device the firewall what MAC address is associated to that ip address

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello,

The firewall sees the same problem - cannot reach the VIP from within the same network, fine outside the network, just not within.

Rgds

Phil

Hello Phil,

actually how have you configured the load balancing ?

depending on the method used this can be normal or it can be a real issue

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

I do not control the server config for this unfortunately, but it should be NFT only - one server is primary, another standby - so no complex config on the router/switches required. This should be a standard set-up that we have across our Datacenter, so I would think this is all checked out already.

That being said - is there anything that you are looking for inparticular?

Thanks

Phil

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card