cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone License. DLU

alanrstat
Level 1
Level 1

I have call manager 5.0 running and have some extra DLU's. I don't know how we have the extras they were already there when I took over. I have never added a new phone to call manager. I've added and removed the ones we already had. We have just purchased 6 refurbed 7960's that were supposed to come with the licenses. When I add the phones my licenses decrease by the 4, the number they use.

I have looked all over Cisco's site and have been unable to find how DLU's are added. The phones that I purchased only came with the hardware. Should there be something else with them? Should the license upload from the phone to call manager automatically?

My main question is: How are DLU's added to call manager 5.0?

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, DLU added via a files tied to a PAK code obtained at purchase time:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmcfg/b02licfu.html

If you buy a phone that was supposed to have CCM 4.3 licenses already, you need to write to licensing@cisco.com, with all the serial number details, possibly they can help.

However in general, when buying refurbished you cannot be guaranteed that any license it was originally purchased with, can be transferred to you.

OK, so if these phones came with licenses I should have gotten a PAK with them?

I have applied SEAT licenses before using the PAK and I know how that all works. I just didn't know if the the DLU's worked the same way.

So I should have recieved a PAK and been able to obtain the license file from cisco that would add the DLU's to my call manager?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alan,

This is actually an excellent question :) With the release of CCM 5.x the licensing for IP Phones changed. For all 3.x and 4.x versions the CH-1 (Channel) License was used and now phones use DLU's (Device License Units) The "Station License" has been replaced with the DLU (Device License Unit) in CCM 5.x and above, so the licenses you received with the refurb 7960's won't work here sadly.

From this good Q & A doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_qanda_item0900aecd805009fc.shtml

Obtaining a License File

Use the following steps to obtain a license file for a new installation of Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0 phones nodes and for updating the licenses when new phones are added.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 When you place an order for Cisco devices, Cisco provides a Product Authorization Key (PAK).

Step 2 Register the PAK with Cisco Unified CallManager by using the License Registration web tool at http://www.cisco.com/go/license.

Step 3 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco Unified CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id. You must enter the number of nodes and phone units that you want licenses for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note You can determine the number of phone unit licenses that you will require for each phone type using License Calculator in Cisco Unified CallManager Administration. See the "Calculating License Units" section on page 24-1.

Step 4 CCO generates a license file with the number of unit licenses that you requested and sends it you via E-mail using the E-mail ID that you provided in step Step 2

Step 5 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 3

Note When you buy new phones and you want to update your licenses, go to the License Registration web tool at http://www.cisco.com/go/license and follow Step 3 through Step 5.

Note The license file is uploaded into the database, only if the version specified in the license file is greater than or equal to the Cisco Unified CallManager version that is running in the cluster. If the version check fails, an alarm gets generated, and you should get a new license file with the correct version. The system bases the version check only on major releases.

Note The licenses specified in the license file can be used only within the cluster on which the license file is uploaded.

.....continued on next page

.....from previous page

Uploading a License file

Use the following procedure to upload a license file to the Cisco Unified CallManager server with the matching MAC address that is provided when requesting for a license file. For information about obtaining a license file see the "Obtaining a License File" section. The Cisco Unified CallManager server where the license file is loaded takes on the functionality of the license manager.

Note Upload the license file only on the first node of Cisco Unified CallManager cluster.

Procedure

Step 1 Choose System > License > Upload License File.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 The Existing License Files drop-down list box displays the license files that are already uploaded to the server.

Note Click View File to view the file content of any existing files.

Step 3 To choose a new license file to upload, click Upload License File.

The Upload File pop-up window displays.

Step 4 Browse and choose a license file to upload to the server.

Step 5 Click Upload License File.

After the upload process is complete, the Upload Result file displays.

Step 6 Click Close.

Step 7 In the License File Upload window, the status of the uploaded file displays.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_4/ccmcfg/b02licfu.html#wp1049590

Hope this helps!

Rob

EDIT: Paolo, you are too fast for my crappy typing skills :) +5 buddy!