cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC (4402) Controller Redundancy

andrew-mccabe
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have 1 x 4402 Controller setup in the HQ. This has a failry extensive wireless environment.

If there was to be a failure then the HQ has lost all Wireless communications.

I would like to implement another controller and use this as a backup.

Anyone have any implementation thoughts surrounding this? best practice and anything I need to consider?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

1. Add a second controller that is the same size controller that you currently have. Be careful to never exceed the total capacity of a single controller, or else you lose your full redundancy.

2. Keep the controller at the same site, but connect it to a different switch in your core. If you are connecting it to a chassis switch, connect the two cables to different blades for highest redundancy.

3. Configure each controller to use LAG (Etherchannel).

4. Split your access points between the two controllers. Best practice is to group APs together that are physically close, so roaming occurs between APs that are on the same controller. Don't "checkboard" your APs when assigning primary controllers.

I hope this helps!

Jeff

Many thanks for your words of advice. I will certainly be able t take this away and use it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card