cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how many 5.2 dbi omni antena at 2.4 GHz to use for 1250 series

contact_abdul
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use wireless 1250 series LAP with wireless controller 2112 series.The A.P frequency will be 2.4 Ghz.

01.To support wireless n or b,g wirless clients how many antenae we must use ?

Suppose I use only one omni 5.2 dbi antena on each access points?

02.I see there are 3+3 connectors on 1252 series a.p for antenae. does this means that 3 connectors for 2.4 Ghz and another 3 connectors for antena for 5.8 GHz?

03.Does this mean that (suppose we want 2.4 Ghz ) then each antena (out of three) will support different different radio (radio a ,radio g,radio wireless n) ?

plz advice in details...considering me lame man

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Abdul! It's a bit confusing getting going on the 1252s, so hopefully this helps a bit.

1. You only need one antenna to support all the protocols (a/b/g/n). However, adding more antennas increases functionality. You're no doubt used to seeing two antennas per AP in standard 802.11a/b/g networks, and this helps to reduce multipath interference, thus improving the quality of the wireless transmissions/receptions. However, to take advantage of all the features that makes 802.11n so great, you will need three antennas.

2. Correct, 3 are for the 2.4GHz range, 3 are for the 5GHz range.

3. There are actually only two radios in the 1252, and they are frequency-based (not protocol-based). In other words, there's a 2.4GHz radio (handling 802.11a/b/n) and a 5GHz radio (handling 802.11a/n). Notice that 802.11n operates in both frequency ranges. So, to answer your question, the 3 antennas work together to handle all the protocols on one frequency.

I hope that helps! Please feel free to post any follow-up questions.

Jeff

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Abdul! It's a bit confusing getting going on the 1252s, so hopefully this helps a bit.

1. You only need one antenna to support all the protocols (a/b/g/n). However, adding more antennas increases functionality. You're no doubt used to seeing two antennas per AP in standard 802.11a/b/g networks, and this helps to reduce multipath interference, thus improving the quality of the wireless transmissions/receptions. However, to take advantage of all the features that makes 802.11n so great, you will need three antennas.

2. Correct, 3 are for the 2.4GHz range, 3 are for the 5GHz range.

3. There are actually only two radios in the 1252, and they are frequency-based (not protocol-based). In other words, there's a 2.4GHz radio (handling 802.11a/b/n) and a 5GHz radio (handling 802.11a/n). Notice that 802.11n operates in both frequency ranges. So, to answer your question, the 3 antennas work together to handle all the protocols on one frequency.

I hope that helps! Please feel free to post any follow-up questions.

Jeff

hi jeff,

thnx alot.my concept clear now

thnx again.I am accessing net after many days.so replying late.

abdul

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card