cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA functions

anthoney_murphy
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured ip sla to send a trap whenever the rtt of a probe is greater than 10 milliseconds. Its not sending the trap or logging to the router. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I just checked the source, and apparently syslog messages are only available for jitter operations. For an ICMP Echo, you will only get SNMP traps. As you are seeing violations, and since you have the rtr traps enabled, you should be seeing traps go out to your configured trap destinations (provided they also have rtr traps enabled).

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please post your router's IP SLA configuration as well as a show ver.

ip sla logging traps

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 192.168.1.1

threshold 15

ip sla reaction-configuration 1 react rtt threshold-value 15 10 threshold-type immediate action-type trapOnly

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T3.bin

You need to also add:

snmp-server enable traps ipsla

That will allow your router to send IP SLA traps to your SNMP managers as specified by the "snmp-server host" commands.

Will it show up in the local router log as well? Thats really what I am trying to accomplish.

Yes, they should already be showing up in the message buffer provided the threshold is being violated, and your logging buffer is set to at least error.

Round Trip Time (RTT) for Index 1

Latest RTT: 16 milliseconds

Latest operation start time: 12:13:10.332 PST Thu Jan 22 2009

Latest operation return code: Over threshold

Over thresholds occurred: TRUE

Number of successes: 35

Number of failures: 69

Operation time to live: Forever

Operational state of entry: Active

Last time this entry was reset: Never

I have yet to see it hit the router log. I am debugging snmp and not seeing any packets being sent.

I just checked the source, and apparently syslog messages are only available for jitter operations. For an ICMP Echo, you will only get SNMP traps. As you are seeing violations, and since you have the rtr traps enabled, you should be seeing traps go out to your configured trap destinations (provided they also have rtr traps enabled).

Thanks for the help. I got it to work now.

Command is not avialable. I have snmp-server enable traps rtr already configured.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: