Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN switching IOS

Can anyone help me understand the real differences between the "IP base" and "IP services" IOS's for the 3550, 3560, and 3750 series switches.

Thanks for the help.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's basically that the IP Services IOS offers more functionality in terms of routing protocols supported ie. BGP/EIGRP/OSPF + multicast + other features such as PBR. From the 3560 Q&A -

Q. What software images does the Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series support?

A. The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses pre-installed. The IP Base license (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image, or SMI) offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image, or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). The Advanced IP Services license, although not available as a pre-installed option, upgrades Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches to include IPv6 routing and IPv6 ACL support. Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license or Advanced IP Services license as well as from the IP Services license to the Advanced IP Service license

Jon

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

IP base does not support some routing protocol such as BGP, OSPF, EIGRP.

You can use "Compare the features in different software releases" in "software advisor" to find more detail.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/Fusion/FusionHome.do

I was not the one who asked the question but I have been looking for a software comaprison tool....

Thanks,

Mike

software advisor is the tool you need.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/Fusion/FusionHome.do

You can compare features between different version and also found if a feature is available in certain version.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: