Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP mac address change notification trap problem

Hi everyone,

I have a bunch of 4948s sitting on top of racks, and some in access/distribution as well. I set up mac address notification SNMP traps, but for some reason I'm not receiving full content in the traps. Software is 12.2(46)SG. What I'm missing in the content is cmnHistMacChangedMsg. Instead of an octet string, I get a hex string. I.e. the switch only sends the operation type (added/removed) and doesn't send the vlan, port and mac address, thus rendering the traps useless. When I debug snmp packets, the switch sends:

cmnHistMacChangedMsg.xx = XX

Instead of:

cmnHistMacChangedMsg.xx = XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX

Does anybody have any idea why is this happening? Is it just software related, or is it some platform limitation?

If it is a platform limitation, then is it posible do read the mac address notification history table with snmp get - since I receive the history entry number in the trap? This way I could at least use a workaround by setting up a trap handler that queries the history table and logs the entry.

Another thing is that in snmpv2 traps it sends cmnHistTimestamp as Integer, while it should be sending it as TimeTicks - but I can live with this, the main issue is cmnHistMacChangedMsg...

Many thanks,

Wojciech

4 Replies 4

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

it should be related to bug

CSCsr84693 Incomplete MAC notification SNMP trap on 4500s

Thanks, that explains a lot... "Fixed in" is currently "pending" for that bug - and nothing is mentioned in release notes for 12.2(50)SG - do you know if this release fixes this bug? I can't revert to 12.2(44)SG as we need the management ethernet ports on the switches - and this feature was only introduced in (46).

Best regards,

Wojciech

Based on info I had, it should be fixed in 12.2(50)SG.

Great news, thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: