cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trace Switch Port with WCS

rschwart
Level 1
Level 1

I get a permission denied when I try to run the Trace Switch Port on the WCS. The WCS tells me the rouge is on the network. But I keep getting this message. Windows 2003 server, WCS Version 5.2.110.0. 2 Wism's running version 5.2.157.0. SNMP 2v with read write community

7 Replies 7

sschmidt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you say permission denied do you mean a "You do not have the required privilege" or another error?

How are you logged in? Is this a local user or a user authenticated via radius/tacacs?

I am logged in as a member of Admin. When I select the Go button to run the trace I get immediately sent to another web page with the following "Permission Denied You do not have privileges for the requested operation. I have logged in as root and get the same results.

Can you go to Administration > Logging and change the message level to Trace and click submit. Then go back and try the action that gives the error. Once this fails go back to the above area and download the logs. Please attach if possible here and if it is too big just attach the wcs-x-x.log files. Let me know the approximate time you performed the test.

I ran the trace at 0900cdt this morning. Attached is the log zip file.

It looks like it is a bug but the workaround is to log in as the root user. You said you get the error even though you are logged in as root?

Is the switch more than 2 hops away from the reporting access point?

You are correct I do get the same error logged in as root. The access point is no more then two hops from the buildings 6509.

I am getting the same thing, this is on a Linux box and I am using AAA security for authentication.

Looks like they added some tasks in the 5.2 release, I wonder if the task to trace switch ports was messed up or removed by accident.

Hope they fix it soon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: