HI every body!
I have few questions:
1)In HSRP, one router is chosen as active while the other is chosen as standby, all the rest would be in listening state. What about VRRP?
In vrrp, one router is chosen as master,are all the rest chosen as back up routers? or only one router among them is chosen as backup router?
2)In HSRP, active router overwrite the timers configured on other routers in the group. How about in VRRP? does master in vrrp overwrite the timers on other routers in the group?
3) which routers can receive and send hello in VRRP and which ones can only listen ?
4) Do routers use hold time in VRRP?
thanks a lot!
1) In VRRP, one router becomes the Master (Virtual Router Master) and others act as backup (Virtual Router Backup) like HSRP. Eg: Lets assume three routers R1,R2,R3. R1 is currently the master. If R1 goes down, then R2 and R3 depending on their priority or if the priorities are same, depending on the higher IP address become the Master.
2) Well there are two ways in HSRP,
vrrp group timers advertise [msec] interval
Configures the interval at which Master sends advertisement. If you only use the above command, then you need to set timers to be consistent on all other routers in the group. Default interval is 1 sec
vrrp group timers learn
If this command is configured, then it informs all backup routers to learn the advertisement interval from the Master.
For consistency sake, you configure the above two commands to be same on all Routers in the VRRP group.
3) Virtual Router Master sends out (hellos) multicast advertisement, every 1 sec by default and backups listen.
4) Well I'd assume it's roughly 3 hellos. The example in the paper below shows its to be roughly 3.6 or 3.5 secs if the advertisement interval 1 sec.