Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sawmill Server DB

Does the Sawmill software have its own DB maintenance? Will just keep growing the Disk if something isn't setup ?? I have a Server with a 30GB drive running sawmill....I see the disk drive growing, shoul i set some automatic maintenance somewhere??
thanks

3 Replies 3

jowolfer
Level 1
Level 1

Sawmill does not automatically prune data from the data base. However, you can schedule various DB maintenance tasks from within sawmill.

Depending on your data set size, 30 GB may not be enough. In order to perform DB prunes, Sawmill requires between 2 - 3 times the amount of space as the DB size.

So if you have a 10GB DB, you'll need up to 30GB to properly prune the database. Also don't forget, that if you're storing your log files on the same Sawmill server, the original logs also consume space.

It is recommended to have much more disk space. Though if your DB is very small and you won't be storing a long history, you may be fine with 30GB.

ross.filipek
Level 1
Level 1

Sawmill does not automatically prune data from the data base. However, you can schedule various DB maintenance tasks from within sawmill.

Josh--

Is there a Sawmill reference that describes how to do the pruning? I didn't see anything that looked quite like that in the user guide, but there's probably something I'm missing. Thanks in advance.

JennieMorton
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a Sawmill reference that describes how to do the pruning? I didn't see anything that looked quite like that in the user guide, but there's probably something I'm missing. Thanks in advance.

The Sawmill for IronPort User Guide is geared mostly toward the plugin that IronPort created and how it works with Sawmill itself. For any other tasks specific to using Sawmill, your best source of help is the original Sawmill documentation which you can find on Flowerfire's site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: