Views
Helpful
Replies

number of DSPs needed for 5 ISDN PRI interfaces on 2811 platform

mizoran78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I have one Cisco 2811 router as a VoIP gateway between Telco and my CCM.

Currently, there's one ISDN PRI over 1-port T1/E1 Multiflex Voice/WAN Interface Card. There is PVDM2-32 module also and everything works fine so far.

Now I need to connect to CCM the four additional ISDN PRI interfaces from telco.

My question is can I achieve it on this router with:

1. adding two 2-port T1/E1 Multiflex Voice/WAN Interface Cards and

2. upgrading to two modules PVDM2-64 in total?

or

maybe should I go with a new router (which is less desired solution)?

In other words, would it be a problem to have 5 PRI interfaces with 2x PVDM2-64 modules in total on 2811 platform. Would it be enough?

TIA

Zoran Milenkovic

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you cannot use only PVDM2 on 2811 for 5 x E1, because the the 2811 has only two PVDM2 slots, and you need 3.

5 x 30 = 150 channels, 2 PVDM2-64 makes only 128 channels.

So, eithjer replace the router with abigger one, or use the PVDM2 on borad in conjuction with an NM-HDV-xxx.

If you have service contract, you can use the online DSP calculator for this kind of things.

View solution in original post

I realized my mistake and corrected my reply.

The point is that if you don't have enough DSP, you cannot configure the PRI interface at all, so as I said either get a bigger router, or install an NM-HDV2-xx.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you cannot use only PVDM2 on 2811 for 5 x E1, because the the 2811 has only two PVDM2 slots, and you need 3.

5 x 30 = 150 channels, 2 PVDM2-64 makes only 128 channels.

So, eithjer replace the router with abigger one, or use the PVDM2 on borad in conjuction with an NM-HDV-xxx.

If you have service contract, you can use the online DSP calculator for this kind of things.

Thanks for answering but 2811 has only two PVDM2 slots :( That means that I can have two PVDM2-64 modules at maximum!

So if I have 5 ISDN PRI interfaces, I am wondering would it be enough?

Can we assume those two PVDM2-64 modules as a kind of 80% coverage of ISDN interfaces by DSP resources or not? Somebody with experience in similar scenario?

Thanks,

Zoran Milenkovic

I realized my mistake and corrected my reply.

The point is that if you don't have enough DSP, you cannot configure the PRI interface at all, so as I said either get a bigger router, or install an NM-HDV2-xx.

That's exactly what I wanted to know!

Thanks!

Zoran Milenkovic

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: