Helpful
Replies

SNMP question

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

i have some confusion with SNMP:

snmp-server host 1.1.1.1 communityname eigrp bgp

That command would send snmp traps (EIGRP and BGP) to snmp server 1.1.1.1 with the community name of community name correct?

which then confuses me about the following commands:

snmp-server community communityname ro

snmp-server community communityname rw

I assume those would be to change what that particular community can do?

Another confusion is:

snmp-server enable traps eigrp bgp

Does this have to be enable to enable those particular traps?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

snmp-server host allows you to specify to who you want to send the traps. But first you need to enable Trap generation with the snmp-server enable traps command. Then you have the option in the snmp-server host command to limit which traps must be send to which host.

On the other hand snmp-server community is there to filter SNMP request coming from your NMS.

You will find mode infos here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g11.html#wp1028282

HTH

Thanks

Laurent.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

snmp-server host allows you to specify to who you want to send the traps. But first you need to enable Trap generation with the snmp-server enable traps command. Then you have the option in the snmp-server host command to limit which traps must be send to which host.

On the other hand snmp-server community is there to filter SNMP request coming from your NMS.

You will find mode infos here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g11.html#wp1028282

HTH

Thanks

Laurent.

Ahh okey

So you enable the traps #1

The snmp-server host will allow you to send different traps to different servers

Very clear now.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: