Multiple AP1131AG's and one SSID

Unanswered Question
Jan 23rd, 2009

My local VAR is suggesting we purchase two or more Cisco AP1131AG access points. We currently have a couple mixed brand wireless routers that each service a specific area of the building and broadcast a unique SSID for each device. We want to get more serious on a small budget and create a better wireless network. We want to start with two access points and grow the network as budget permits. Each access point will have a wired connection to the main LAN. If we purchase what has been suggested will our new wireless network broadcast a single SSID from two or more access points? What will happen as client systems move between the building?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Stephen Rodriguez Fri, 01/23/2009 - 12:03

If you configure them the same, i.e. SSID, encryption type and keying method, then you will be able to roam around the building just fine. Except to the devices that have their own SSID.

nagel Mon, 01/26/2009 - 15:07

Can I introduce an additional caveat? Lets say I have the 2 Aps configured with the same SSID and I am authenticating through a an IAS server to AD. Would I use the same shared secret on the 2nd AP for communication back to the RADIUS server? Thanks in advance.

Stephen Rodriguez Mon, 01/26/2009 - 15:09

the shared secret wouldn't have any play in the scenario. If you are going to do 802.1x authentication, you should configure WDS, so that one AP can hold the keys instead of doing a full AAA authentication on every roam.

This Discussion