cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

solved problem of power combined mode in 4500 switch.

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I made up a problem to check if i understand the concept correct.

In 4500 series switch,(combined mode) power supplies provide p+2/3p , where p is the power of a power supply.

Let say we have a 4500 switch with two power supplies p1=100 watts(max),p2=100 watts(max).

Let the total load be 150 watts.

solution:

Since total load (150 watts) exceeds the max wattage of power supply(100 watts), we must use combined mode.

p+p(2/3)=150

5p=150*3

p=30*3

p=90 watt

p(2/3)= 90(2/3)

= 60 watt

so one power supply is supplying 60 watt while the other power supply is supplying 90 watt.

Did i solve the above problem correctly?

Thanks a lot!

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

I think both PS will provide 75W each.

the combined mode allows to increase the threshold on maximum power required from chassis above the maximum wattage of a single PS.

but then when comes the time to use the two PS or only one is used (redundancy mode) or they share fairly the power load.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sga/configuration

Thanks Giuseppe!

/guide/pwr_envr.html#wp1035469

Let me quote from the above link.

"When your switch is configured to combined mode, the total available power in not the mathematical sum of the individual power supplies. The power supplies have a sharing ratio predetermined by the hardware. In combined mode, the total power available is P + (P * sharing-ratio), where P is the amount of power in the power supply. "

Hello Sarah,

my understanding was :

when the power management strategy is combined the threshold to decide if the chassis can be powered or not is:

P + P*(sharing-ratio)

However, the sentence

"The power supplies have a sharing ratio predetermined by the hardware"

makes me think you understood this better then me.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card