Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11 and sodium type lights

hello experts!!!

how far should a pole mount ap (1510) be from the light pole lamp which is having sodium type of lights.

voice and data will pass through the wlan. so if the ap is placed 2 meters below the lamp, will it have interference?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

While I have never specifically scanned the sodium lamps, I believe you are probably safe at that distance.

Given the number of sodium lamps in the Chicago metro area,for example, if they radiated, even a little bit, I don't think there'd be any radio traffic of any sort during the evening hours.

Of course, this would be revealed during a comprehensive site survey ...

Because the lamps operate on gas discharge, they will be quieter or noisier depending on their age.

You might be able to rent or buy a device from Radar Engineers (www.radarengineers.com)that is specifically designed to locate arc/spark/discharge types of interference. They are used primarily in the power industry, but the concepts are the same for this type of EMI/RFI. Check with your favorite equipment rental dealer.

Even something like NetStumbler (www.netstumbler.com - it's free) should give you some indication of the interference level (if any) relative to the 802.11 signal.

So, IMO, you're probably safe... but you should do a survey to get absolutely definitive information for your specific environment.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

While I have never specifically scanned the sodium lamps, I believe you are probably safe at that distance.

Given the number of sodium lamps in the Chicago metro area,for example, if they radiated, even a little bit, I don't think there'd be any radio traffic of any sort during the evening hours.

Of course, this would be revealed during a comprehensive site survey ...

Because the lamps operate on gas discharge, they will be quieter or noisier depending on their age.

You might be able to rent or buy a device from Radar Engineers (www.radarengineers.com)that is specifically designed to locate arc/spark/discharge types of interference. They are used primarily in the power industry, but the concepts are the same for this type of EMI/RFI. Check with your favorite equipment rental dealer.

Even something like NetStumbler (www.netstumbler.com - it's free) should give you some indication of the interference level (if any) relative to the 802.11 signal.

So, IMO, you're probably safe... but you should do a survey to get absolutely definitive information for your specific environment.

Good Luck

Scott

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the response.

The customer is just concern whether or not a significant interference will affect the voice and data traffic, most partic, the voice.

Since, IYO, 2m is safe... I could go and increase the distance then from the lamp down to the ap to be able to more safe plus get a wider coverage for the a-band.

Thanks, Scott!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card