CCNP BSCI expiration (08/11/08) is this correct

Unanswered Question
Jan 24th, 2009

I have just looked on the cisco website and it appears BSCI has been discontinued is this really true? Can cisco remove the most fundamental course in the ccnp qualification. I am sure that this was not the case and I did not hear anything from my netacademy with this being discontinued when I was doing this during the winter months. No lecturer informed any student at the academy that this has been removed from the requirements for CCNP. I myself have just completed the BSCI netacademy course and was preparing for the exam (4 months i hope of additional studying) but today no more. I just feel for those that have just recently completed the exam will these people get a refund. I am so surprised that CISCO has taken this move without major head's up like with previous courses. I have to say I am shocked!!!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jlhainy Sat, 01/24/2009 - 15:45

I am also suprised by this. I would have to believe its a mistake because I know several individuals that have taken the test after the posted expiration date.

The one thing that does make it convincing is the fact that the BSCI is not just an exam for CCNP, but CCDP and CCIP as well. It has been removed from those as well. It is very unlike Cisco not to give a notice of such a move.

johnlloyd_13 Sat, 01/24/2009 - 22:17

you were right, bsci was removed upon checking ccnp track. very unlikey to remove it quickly

Wassim Aouadi Sun, 01/25/2009 - 02:57

I think it's kind of an error or something. This can't be true.

Please we need a Cisco employee's clarification.

If it's true then 6 months of hard work for me has now been lost.... and i'm sure it's the same for many other people.

Surely they can't drop routing from the CCNP?

what about people who have scheduled the exam for tomorrow? Should they attend?

I know it's weekend but a short press release or something as we need to know what is going on

johnlloyd_13 Sun, 01/25/2009 - 05:30

i absolutely agree! i'm one of those who took bsci. cisco didn't give ample time for people to notice bsci was out, unlike they did for ccsp exam. i feel frustrated for the time and effort given for preparation, not to mention the exam fee. i'll try to call cisco and will post their confirmation.

jenn1410 Sun, 01/25/2009 - 08:48

I called PearsonVue and they were surprised by it too. They are calling me back tomorrow.

harrisn Sun, 01/25/2009 - 18:15

I am scheduled for tomorrow and Pearson shows that it is still available to be purchased unlike other retired exams. I think that this is probably an artifact oif the PEC upgrade.

I will be calling Cisco in the morning but I am certainly going to continue prepping.

franco640_3 Sun, 01/25/2009 - 11:38

Well I have to say that this is such a surprise. I was ready to start my BSCI exam preparation. Spent a considerable amount of time and money doing the cisco net academy for this course and then poof does not exist any more. They then back date the validity of the BSCI course to the end of August which is such a surprise. I have seen during the upgrade of both CCSP and CCVP that they give advance warning and inform students about a major change like this and give a chance for students to pass such a major exam. I have to say i am a little cross that they would change a fundamental subject like the BSCI course without giving an explanation before hand. Very very very bad the way that they have handled this.... but at least i do not have to pass this to obtain my ccnp i really feel for those that have just recently obtained the BSCI course only to find that it's worthless.

Side note. Why is it that i am still able to book the BSCI course from pearsonvue should they have not been informed as well. What a joke from such a company. I would prefer that they acknowledge that there website got hacked into for this reason.

tirthasarathi Sun, 01/25/2009 - 12:30 cisco Career Certifications & Paths web page if u click CCNP Syllabus, u can sen 642-901 is live.

i can't understand.. what is happening??

upenyu333 Sun, 01/25/2009 - 18:32

I am also surprised because its affecting my CCDP prep as well...CISCO plse respond!!!

cameron.moody Sun, 01/25/2009 - 22:12

I have logged a ticket with career certifications support to find out exactly what is happening. I will post their response once I get it back.

Peter Paluch Sun, 01/25/2009 - 22:33

Hello everyone,

I agree with everything that has been said here. In my opinion, the BSCI course is the key course of the entire CCNP and CCIP certification and related trainings. Having it removed from the certification requirements is nothing less than ill-minded.

If it were not Cisco this would appear as a bad joke. Removing the BSCI requirement entirely from the CCNP and replacing it with COMPOSITE exam in CCIP just doesn't make any sense. But because this is Cisco, I am even more taken aback. I simply can not see any logic in all this. I sincerely hope that all this is some kind of glitch or some transition period during which the BSCI is only upgraded or something... I hope so because otherwise the new CCNPs/CCIPs just would not be the way they were.

I have also raised an ticket witht the Certification Online Support. As soon as I get some reasonable answers I'll post them here.

Best regards,

johnlloyd_13 Mon, 01/26/2009 - 02:36

yes, i believe everyone should get involved in raising this issue with cisco espcially those who are taking ccnp or other tracks related to bsci. i'll be calling cisco support in a few hours and revert to everyone with what they have to say.

johnlloyd_13 Mon, 01/26/2009 - 03:12

i've just talked to a cisco support rep few moments ago. i called their hotline number: 1-800-553-6387 (US/Canada). it's OFFICIAL everyone. what's on the web is what cisco recommends and it's NOT a bug. all i can do was for a reimbursement on the exam fee, which i personally paid for the bsci exam. if there's such a policy and if it's possible (i hope it is!).

here are the details of my support case:

* cisco case #090126-000034

* jas d. (name of the rep, it believe she was an australian due to her accent)

* 2-3 working days for cisco certification team to revert back to me on the possible reimbursement

Peter Paluch Mon, 01/26/2009 - 04:31

Hi John,

That would be bad news. I have tried to stir things up via Networking Academy channels. Let's wait and see what will come out of it. Though I do not expect Cisco to change its mind because of one disgruntled instructor, maybe I have managed to alert enough people to the fact that something is very wrong here.

Best regards,

jlhainy Mon, 01/26/2009 - 06:30

Wow! I all I can say is ... Wow! I am shocked and a little disappointed.

junshah22 Mon, 01/26/2009 - 08:43

Well, I done my CCNA last year and was preparing for BSCI, now i shocked to see that BSCI has been removed from the site,

The composite EXAM (642-892) still shows recommended training (BSCI and BCMSN)

IF BSCI is showing in composite exam then why skipped from other options as it was available earlier,

I called Pearson VUE to get a date for BSCI yesterday, and they told me that i can book this exam after 3rd march, NO dates are available before 3rd march,

It means, BSCI is still here and was removed by a mistake,

WELL, I dont think so that CISCO can do a blunder like it and their team will be monitoring it daily,

If it has been removed from the course then CISCO should announce it properly

harrisn Mon, 01/26/2009 - 09:43

642-901 now shows in the syllabus again. but it also show at the top of the list of retired exams. UPDATE - I just got off the phone with Cisco and they say that it is not retired and is 'just a glitch in the system'.

fedecotof Mon, 01/26/2009 - 13:44

Hey All,

BSCI is back again now....

So, what's going on?

Well... makes sense to have it again anyways...

franco640_3 Mon, 01/26/2009 - 10:45

well this has been a fuck up and a half. It has almost panic most of the cisco students preparing for this certification and a lot of the cisco netacademy locations i am sure.

So there website did get hacked or was this a disgruntled employer taking one last joke. I do not see how this could be just a simple mistake and it would certainly be a good idea that people from cisco explain what really did go on.

Peter Paluch Mon, 01/26/2009 - 13:19

Hello everyone,

It seems that there has been a problem indeed with the information posted on Cisco website. The BSCI exam is NOT retired and it is STILL required for CCNP/CCDP/CCIP certifications. You may want to check the pages at - the requirements have been corrected and the BSCI is no longer listed as retired.

Still, this "glitch" has scared the hell out of me...

Best regards,

johnlloyd_13 Mon, 01/26/2009 - 17:33

i see bsci is now back on the list. this incident was something really odd. did someone get a screenshot? cisco should explain what just happened. i almost panicked there seeing bsci gone last week.

on the good side of things, at least we voiced out and cisco was notified and put things back in order.

This Discussion