Views
Helpful
Replies

redundant switch supervisors

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I was reading about redundancy in switch supervisors.

There are different modes:

1) route processor redundancy(RPR)

2)Route processor redundancy(RPR+)

3)stateful switchover (SSO)

q1)I understand how these modes but my question is why one want to use any other mode but sso as fail over time is less than a second compared to other modes ?

q2) Should both supervisors be same?

Thanks a lot!

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

q1) SSO requires identical supervisors, identical ios image and newer IOS image (it has more tight requirements) so there can be cases where RPR or RPR+ can be used but SSO cannot

q2) for SSO they need to be exactly the same model, RPR and RPR+ have lesser requirements

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/RPR.html#wp1116237

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks a lot Giuseppe!

My book says

For RPR+ ios must be of same release. How about sup? they should be same as well?

The sups' have to be the same as well.

regards,

-amit singh

Kerem Gursu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

There are several modes , but every mode has its own unique circumstances. The fastest mode is not always the best mode

1)SSO enables subsecond convergence , but some state tables like HSRP encounters problems during the switchover. For example if your supervisors or RPs switch faster than your HSRP timeout , you will definetely experience a switchover in the HSRP state as well.

2) The Supervisors / RPs must be the same.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card