cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error Message with PBX Integration

cjoseph23
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a H323 gateway to work with a Avaya Merlin Magix PBX system. I have the IP side working fine but the Avaya side is unable to place outbound calls. Avaya side can receive inbound calls.

I have had the PBX vendor onsite and the Avaya is set for Primary-DMS100 and I have set the corresponding interface on the gateway as the same. I am getting the following error message when I place an outbound call

Channel unacceptable

IOS on gateway is

System image file is "flash:c3825-adventerprisek9-mz.124-22.T.bin"

If I reboot the Gateway outbound calling will work on the Avaya side for a while but later on in the day the error message pops up again. I don't want to keep rebooting the gateway to fix the issue.

Any Idea on what this message is telling me?

8 Replies 8

cjoseph23
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the output from my show isdn stat:

TANPG01#show isdn stat

Global ISDN Switchtype = primary-ni

ISDN Serial0/0/0:23 interface

dsl 0, interface ISDN Switchtype = primary-ni

Layer 1 Status:

ACTIVE

Layer 2 Status:

TEI = 0, Ces = 1, SAPI = 0, State = MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED

Layer 3 Status:

1 Active Layer 3 Call(s)

CCB:callid=147, sapi=0, ces=0, B-chan=1, calltype=VOICE

Active dsl 0 CCBs = 1

The Free Channel Mask: 0x807FFFFE

Number of L2 Discards = 0, L2 Session ID = 0

ISDN Serial0/1/0:23 interface

******* Network side configuration *******

dsl 1, interface ISDN Switchtype = primary-dms100

Layer 1 Status:

ACTIVE

Layer 2 Status:

TEI = 0, Ces = 1, SAPI = 0, State = MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED

Layer 3 Status:

1 Active Layer 3 Call(s)

CCB:callid=80D8, sapi=0, ces=0, B-chan=1, calltype=VOICE

Active dsl 1 CCBs = 1

The Free Channel Mask: 0x807FFFFE

Number of L2 Discards = 0, L2 Session ID = 3

Total Allocated ISDN CCBs = 2

TANPG01#

Hello,

Im no expert on PBX integrations with IOS gateway, but the error you are receiving could be an issue with how the PBX and the gateway negotiate which b-channel to use. Under interface s0/1/0:23, try adding the command "isdn negotiate-bchan" and see if the behavior changes. Let us know.

Hope that helped, if so please rate.

Thanks Kenneth,

I added the command to int ser0/1/0:23 but still I am getting the channel unnChannel unacceptable message in the isdn debug.

interface Serial0/1/0:23

description *** Connection to PBX ***

no ip address

encapsulation hdlc

isdn switch-type primary-dms100

isdn protocol-emulate network

isdn incoming-voice voice

isdn negotiate-bchan

no cdp enable

On the Avaya side, can you verify which channel the outbound call is trying to use. According to the debug, the gateway appears to be trying to use channel 1 on the cisco side. I believe these 2 must match in order for the call to complete.

I don't have access to the Avaya PBX. I would have to get the Avaya Vendor who supports that system onsite. I did change the bchan-order to descending in the int ser 0/1/0:23 also to see if that would make a difference but it did not.

I have opened a case with TAC and I will post there results to this case.

One thing they are saying is to reconfigure the Avaya to user switchtype primary-4ess but this would also require me to get the Avaya vendor onsite.

It's possible that the other side is configured for NFAS, or that we are.

Make sure that both sides are configured for FAS signaling.

hth,

nick

I had the PBX vendor onsite and he changed the switchtype to primary-5ess. I changed the interface on the voice gateway to 5ess as well.

Nick - Not sure how to check for FAS signaling on the gateway so I wasn't able to verify that.

I did place a few dozen test calls and all is well so far. I will post more results after a couple of days in production.

cj

Changing the PBX switchtype to Primary-5ess and the corresponding interface on the gateway to Primary-5ess resolved the issue I was having with outbound calling.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: