cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VOIP and QoS

cyoungblut
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - we have a CallManager 5.1(1) installation with several VG224 for analog phone/fax/modems. We've been having some problems with the faxes and modems and also an occasional problem dialing out where the recipent cannot hear us (on our Cisco VOIP phones - 7941/7960's). I feel like I may need to do some QoS setup which we really haven't done much with prior to now. A little about our set up...we have a core 4510 switch with 4 other wiring closets with 3560s. Like I said we also have 4 VG224s. We have fiber out to two 2811 routers and T1s from there to the local phone company. I am not familiar (much) with configuring QoS. Can someone point me in the right direction (either for reading material to get up to speed) or other information to find out how I can start configuring QoS. Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Unless you have a congested LAN core, you will really only need to apply QoS to your WAN links.

I'm attaching a sample QoS configuration for WAN links you may find useful.

hth,

nick

I agree with Nick. While QoS/CoS should be considered at every level, it probably would not cause the problems you describe on a LAN.

The fax/modem issue sounds like a codec selection problem. Have you confirmed that you are using G.711 on all fax/modem lines? QoS is not going to help a fax on G.729.

As for the one-way audio... I haven't heard of QoS causing one-way audio issues. That is probably a routing or a firewall/access list problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: