Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How long Cisco recommends reload the box - Cisco3845

How long Cisco recommends reload the box - Cisco3845. If someone have some documentation about it, I appreciate. Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only time you should need to reload the box is when you perform an IOS upgrade. Otherwise let it run.

Hope that helps.

So how I do with the problems of fragmented memory or buffer leak?

Thanks.

Open a TAC case and Cisco will help you resolve it (usually with IOS).

Normally fragmented memory or buffer leaks shouldn't been seen in typical operations. If there's a bug, which requires scheduled reloads until it's resolved, reload schedule would need to be before the bug causes your router to hang. (I.e. a general reload so often rule wouldn't apply.)

Beside reloads, the later IOSs have some additional optional features, I believe, to try to keep the router running. I think I've read there an optional buffer leak detector(?) and there also ERM and EEM to monitor the router and can try to inform the IOS to free RAM before it causes issues.

My experience with IOS it doesn't often deal well with low memory situations even when there's no bugs, so you also want to insure router has ample memory for expected production usage.

Normally, the 3800 series router takes between 7-10 minutes to reload.

If you want to reload the router with the least amount of time, I recommend you consider the "warm upgrade" and the "warm reload" which should shorten the upgrade and reload time by 60%.

Warm Upgrade info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t11/feature/guide/gtwarmup.html

Warm Reload info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t11/feature/guide/gtwarmup.html

Does this information help?

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't reload my network devices unless during scheduled maintenance (i.e. Image Upgrade, Inserting Modules, etc.). I do periodic upgrade if I see that the IOS and its feature/service that I'm using have bugs and security vulnerability.

I know some people reloads their network devices once a month, but their reasoning contradicts my religious beliefs :)

Thanks everyone for your help and assistance.

If we are to talk about this, what IOS version you have running?

Also does someone know if it s possible to restart some services on cisco routers, smthg similar with Linux (eg. I want to restart the routing module on a 2821 model).

Cisco will recommend that you use the latest IOS because it fixes bugs or new features/functions are introduced by it.

Depends on what features you need running.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card