cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake on Lan

mx
Level 1
Level 1

I have been doing some reading here for wake on Lan, and followed some of the directions that has been posted here, but Im still not having luck. (I also started a thread a week or two ago, but cant find it now?!?!)

Anyway, I have a PC in one location that needs to wake a PC in another location.

In the originating location I have the ip forward-protocol udp 61, and on the receiving side I have the access list.

Attached are the two router configs. BR1 is originating, and BR5 is destination. I think I might see my issue but Im not sure how to fix it, even though I have the access list (101), I need to apply it to vlan 10, (right?) If I apply it, the implied deny all will break everything else, unless Im totally missing something here. Any tips appreciated!

Bob

2 Replies 2

ryabutler
Level 1
Level 1

You need an IP helper to the destination broadcast network end of BR5.

For example,

If I want to do a WOL to the 192.168.100.0 /24 network then that config from the network that would send the WOL request would be ...

interface ethernet0

ip helper-address 192.168.100.255

ip forward-protocol udp 61

That may cause some other potential conflicts if have DHCP running on your network also with helpers setup.

I would also suggest remove the ACLs and focus on functionality first then once it works focused on security & protection.

HI There thanks for the reply. On BR1, I did put an ip helper address to 192.168.5.1 (the router where the WOL destination PC is). but that didtn work either so I removed it. I will remove the ACL and try the helper address again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card