cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I keep this from happening?

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If I have a user that "accidentally" sets his IP address the same as our gateway, will:

a) It bring the network down or will the router gracefully continue to work?

b) configuring DAI on the 3750 that I have keep this from happening?

c) or is there another way of dealing with this?

We are strictly DHCP, so DAI might be the way to go, but are there other methods?

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

a) Well you will probably get very intermittent connectivity depending on which mac-address the end client registers for it's default-gateway

b) DAI is a possible solution. Never used it myself but from what i understand about it yes it could be used to determine valid mac-address/IP address pairs.

c) Last place i worked users could not change the IP address ie. the Windows profile did not give them the option of changing the IP address.

A user could still bring in their own laptop but you could combine c) with machine authenication ie. 802.1x.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

a) Well you will probably get very intermittent connectivity depending on which mac-address the end client registers for it's default-gateway

b) DAI is a possible solution. Never used it myself but from what i understand about it yes it could be used to determine valid mac-address/IP address pairs.

c) Last place i worked users could not change the IP address ie. the Windows profile did not give them the option of changing the IP address.

A user could still bring in their own laptop but you could combine c) with machine authenication ie. 802.1x.

Jon

Thanks Jon :)

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: