Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5 Backup Issue

bigcappa1
Level 4
Level 4

Guys,

Getting a strange permissions related issue. That has really only started since we added another Unity server (not a failover for this one) in another office and ran the PW for that.

If I open the Unity Dirt Backup Tool I get the following

Windows Popup

(error):70 (Permission denied)in procedure bAccountHasMailstoreRights of Form frmMain

Click Ok

(error):52 (Bad file name or number)in procedure bAccountHasMailstoreRights of Form frmMain

Click ok

error 52 repeats everytime I select OK

I close the application down using task manager(it wont close any other way), then open again and I get the warning

'The account you logged in as does not have 'Send as' and 'Recieve as' on one or more message stores that unity subscribers are assocaited with. It then lists the messaging servers some that are not even involved with users on the Unity

I have run the PW previosuly and had the messaging/AD team check the permissions for the unityadmin account which is the account used for the backup. And the account has full permissions

I can perform tha backup successfully manually

Any ideas what causes this

Thanks again

Paul

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of DiRT backup are you running?

The error there is an application error (the permission denied thing), that's not a warning about the permission of the account for the mailstore. That routine is running a little command line app (from MS) against the logged in account and it tries to gain access to the unity messaging system account's inbox with SA/RA rights - if it fails a log file is written out and then read by DiRT to see if there was a failure - if there way then the account is assumed to not have SA/RA rights against the entire mailstore. But the error you're seeing there makes it look like the file is not being created by their tool for some reason - which is odd.

Jeff,

The version is 1.1build 9 the latest I think. I have this running on another Unity 5.01 server ok, but I was getting some niggles with the previous version so upgraded to the latest and ever since have never really been able to do the auto backup

Thanks

Paul

hmmm... the code there hasn't changed in some time and the app to check for mailstore rights has been the same since day 1 - I'll pop it open and take a look at it. Could be an install script change I guess.

my guess is a CSA or other type of app blocking access to the root of c - I'm assuming other changes other than upgrading DiRT may have happened on that box at around the same time?

The app needs to copy a small binary to the root of C and it creates a text output file there as well (both are removed when its done). When you get that error dialog, for "c:\sara.exe" and "c:\sara.out" and "c:\mailstoreInput.txt" - all three should be there.

If running it interactive works and running it scheduled is not then something is blocking that - are you using a different account for the service driving the scheduled run? Is there another security application blocking items that are not running interacive at the desktop?

Something is getting in the way of that process external to DiRT it looks like...

Jeff,

Yes compmay policy states we have to have Alteris agent and Symantec AV. The former does automatic MS updates.

But nothing else. They have been there even when it was working so unless they have added something they should not have.

Would uninstall and install make a difference

Thanks

Paul

I'd be very suprised if an uninstall and reinstall of DiRT had any effect - unless someone's been in removing files from the install folder which seems remote.

Reproduce the error and when that dialog is up check the root of C for those files - that's step 1. If they're there something else is going on, if not we need to keep looking.

Again, DiRT is simply running the binary (sara.exe) and looking for the output. There is nothing it can do to force the system to be happy with it - uninstalling DiRT and reinstalling it is not going to make the system happier with sara running out of root of c.

Also, if you can run it interactive ok the DiRT is officially off the hook. There is no different code path when you run it scheduled than when you run it directly. Definitely a rights issue then...

Running Unity 4.2

DiRT v 1.1.12

Win2k SP4

Exchange 2003

...getting the same couple of errors

(error):70 (Permission denied)in procedure bAccountHasMailstoreRights of Form frmMain

Click Ok

(error):52 (Bad file name or number)in procedure bAccountHasMailstoreRights of Form frmMain

I've tried the following:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ActiveVoice\DisasterRecovery\Settings ..changed all to a value of 0.

I have the Sara.exe files as well.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

I added 'Send/Receive As' rights on the specific mailstore for my login and is working fine now.

fyi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: