cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 Seed Update

sirbaughmf
Level 1
Level 1

Question regarding seed file update, if I update the Scheduled discovery seed list, does it automatically update the Ad-Hoc Discovery seed list. This appears to happen but not each time....

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you modify the attributes of a job, it should not modify the global, ad hoc settings. However, if you want to update the global seed list, you should delete, and reschedule your job.

Ok. Next, when I try to delete the "global" seeds under seed device settings, they delete and I complete the configuration. Next time I go in to check to make sure the "global" seeds are gone, they are there again, they are not deleting. I am using CDP seeds as well and those are different. Why are these seeds not staying deleted?

I am unable to reproduce. Can you spell out exactly what steps you perform to exhibit this behavior?

Here are the steps:

Common Services-->Device & Credentials --> Device Discovery --> Discovery Settings --> Select Configure (at the bottom, to do all), Select CDP for module -->Seed Device Settings (CDP has 316 seeds recored) (Global has 303 records), Select all of Global records and Delete (they go away), --> Set SNMP settings --> Set Global Settings (Hostname, Update DCR Display, and Use Lookback) --> Finish...

Seems straightforward, but when I do the exact scenario again, the Global seeds are still there???? I'm not sure where it even get the IP's from? I initially set up the Global seeds with by importing a file....

I still can't reproduce. Please post your NMSROOT/conf/csdiscovery/CSDiscovery-config.xml. If you cannot post this file to the forum, please open a TAC service request with this information.

I found a way to get rid of it...I deleted all scheduled discoveries (I deleted through the GUI and on the server in /objects/csdiscovery dir. I saw that some of them had the Global Seeds defined) and then I went back through the previous scenario and it the Global Seeds were gone.

Seems it was getting read from a previous scheduled discovery???

Without seeing the config file I cannot say for certain. However, that is a likely option. I tried it again by messing with the scheduled jobs (i.e. I made sure my scheduled job had global seeds), but I still can't reproduce.

I looked at the config file and it did not have Global Seeds defined....weird...I even did a grep for any file that had one of the IP's I know I didn't want and only found them in the scheduled jobs....

There may be some session cross-contamination happening between the scheduled jobs and the global discovery settings. I tried with Firefox, and everything worked as expected, even after editing per-job settings.

If you want to try and reproduce again, add back the seeds to a job, and to the global settings. Then, remove them from the global settings, and restart your browser. See if they come back.

I'll give it a try and let you know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: