cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Brdiging

prakashj
Level 1
Level 1

I have a prticular requirement. I have a point to point bridge solution. Can the non root bridge act as an ordinary access point. I need wireless signal to be broadcasted from the nonroot access point for the client connectivity.

4 Replies 4

kevin.flynn
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure what model of AP you have, but in short, yes you can. In a dual radio AP such as the 1242, one radio can be set as a bridge (root or non-root) and the other as client access. See this document for more info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6521/prod_qas0900aecd8031c8dc.html

I've never played with the setting before, but I know that a single AP radio can be set to "bridge with clients". I'm not sure whether it can be used on the non-root side, but I would be surprised if it wasn't.

Still, I'd love to know the answer to this.

So on my 1310, the options I have for radio role are (in the GUI):

Root Bridge

Non-Root Bridge

Root Bridge with Wireless Clients

Non-Root Bridge with Wireless Clients

So, in theory, if you want your non-root bridge to allow wireless clients, it should just be a matter of selecting the "non-root bridge with wireless clients" option.

Now, I know in my bridge configuration that on one of the bridges I've got to define the MAC address of the other, I don't know if you would have to define the MAC for the clients as well, or if this is entirely related to just the bridging (or some option that I have on that is requiring it)

Well, there you go. Choose the setting for Non-Root Bridge with Wireless Clients. I didn't have a 1300 in front of me, so thanks to Wesley for posting that! +5 for that.

As for MAC, I can say for sure that you do not need to set the MACs for each client. I'll also say that I've never had to set the MAC of the opposite bridge before either. I'm not sure why your bridges make you do that...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card