cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Broken" AAA between ASA 5505 and MS-AD

clark-computers
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup an AAA connection from my ASA5505 to my MS-AD domain controller for VPNs (SSL and client). It was working, however, last week the connection between the two failed and I cannot get it back up again.

I've checked password, usernames, object locations etc. but to no avail. When I do an auth test, this is the debug ldap 225 output:

[722] Session Start

[722] New request Session, context 0xd4e225c8, reqType = 1

[722] Fiber started

[722] Creating LDAP context with uri=ldap://w.x.y.z:389

[722] Connect to LDAP server: ldap://w.x.y.z:389, status = Successful

[722] supportedLDAPVersion: value = 3

[722] supportedLDAPVersion: value = 2

[722] Binding as administrator

[722] Performing Simple authentication for FirewallTest to w.x.y.z

[722] Simple authentication for FirewallTest returned code (49) Invalid credentials

[722] Failed to bind as administrator returned code (-1) Can't contact LDAP server

[722] Fiber exit Tx=253 bytes Rx=583 bytes, status=-2

[722] Session End

I have tried the age-old "remove and re-add" fix, but this has not worked.

Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ivan Martinon
Level 7
Level 7

Have you checked the the user account used for binding to the LDAP server (AD) has not change it's privileges, I remember that after applying a patch to an AD server most of the Admin accounts were changed to local admin rather than domain admin accounts.

Also, try reseting the password for this account and see if you have the login-dn correct, get the "dsquery user -name " and compare it to your ASA.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ivan Martinon
Level 7
Level 7

Have you checked the the user account used for binding to the LDAP server (AD) has not change it's privileges, I remember that after applying a patch to an AD server most of the Admin accounts were changed to local admin rather than domain admin accounts.

Also, try reseting the password for this account and see if you have the login-dn correct, get the "dsquery user -name " and compare it to your ASA.

I will check. However, the account was never a domain admin in the first place...

regardless of make sure that the privilege to read the domain is enabled, if not then enable it.

It's working after the password reset: I suspect it had expired...

Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: