Upgrade IOS 3550 with Routes Port

Answered Question
Jan 27th, 2009
User Badges:

Anyone know how to make a port on the 3550 a routed port instead of a switchport? I need to put an ip address on the interface to communicate with my TFTP server. It does not take the "no switchport" command. I check the technotes and no mention about turning it into a routed port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_example09186a0080169623.shtml#concept9

Correct Answer by glen.grant about 8 years 2 months ago

That is old so maybe it didn't have much functionality back then . All you have to do then is put an address on the vlan 1 SVI and give it a default gateway . If you are just tranferring it from your pc then set your pc address into the same address space make sure your tftpserver program is running and start your transfer.

conf t

no ip routing

int vlan 1

ip adresss xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

no shut

exit

ip default-gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

address of the gateway off the subnet.

Correct Answer by Roberto Salazar about 8 years 2 months ago

BTW, you don't necessarily need the interface to be L3. you can make it "switchport access vlan x", then create an SVI, interface vlan x and put the ip address on that interface vlan, it will work the same way as having a physical L3 port.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Jon Marshall Tue, 01/27/2009 - 11:13
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Edit - apologies i didn't read your post fully.

Have you tried enabling routing first ie.

3550(config)# ip routing

int fa0/2

no switchport

ip address ....

Jon

davidhuynh5 Tue, 01/27/2009 - 12:31
User Badges:

yes, I tried enabling ip routing, but the command did not work. Once I get the IP address on the interface, then the upgrade is easy.

Jon Marshall Tue, 01/27/2009 - 12:41
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

David

What do you mean by "it did not work". When you entered that command what happened ?

What does a "sh ip route" show.

What version of IOS are you running ?

What does the interface config look like at the moment ?

Jon

Roberto Salazar Tue, 01/27/2009 - 16:11
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

I have a feeling this is not a 3550, can you send us a show version? 3550 on up are the only L3 switch that can do L3 functionality. Anything below like 29x0, 2900XL, 3500XL are strictly L2

Correct Answer
Roberto Salazar Tue, 01/27/2009 - 16:17
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

BTW, you don't necessarily need the interface to be L3. you can make it "switchport access vlan x", then create an SVI, interface vlan x and put the ip address on that interface vlan, it will work the same way as having a physical L3 port.

glen.grant Tue, 01/27/2009 - 17:36
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Can you post a "show version " ?

davidhuynh5 Wed, 01/28/2009 - 03:21
User Badges:

Sorry it took a while to get the information.

Attached is the show version, logging when I try to convert a switchport to a routed port, and the show tech. I have another 3550 sitting, which was loaded by cisco with a more recent image and it can do routing and will accept a the commands

without a fuss. Thanks a million.

Attachment: 
Correct Answer
glen.grant Wed, 01/28/2009 - 04:40
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

That is old so maybe it didn't have much functionality back then . All you have to do then is put an address on the vlan 1 SVI and give it a default gateway . If you are just tranferring it from your pc then set your pc address into the same address space make sure your tftpserver program is running and start your transfer.

conf t

no ip routing

int vlan 1

ip adresss xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

no shut

exit

ip default-gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

address of the gateway off the subnet.

Actions

This Discussion