cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS 3550 with Routes Port

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone know how to make a port on the 3550 a routed port instead of a switchport? I need to put an ip address on the interface to communicate with my TFTP server. It does not take the "no switchport" command. I check the technotes and no mention about turning it into a routed port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_example09186a0080169623.shtml#concept9

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

BTW, you don't necessarily need the interface to be L3. you can make it "switchport access vlan x", then create an SVI, interface vlan x and put the ip address on that interface vlan, it will work the same way as having a physical L3 port.

View solution in original post

That is old so maybe it didn't have much functionality back then . All you have to do then is put an address on the vlan 1 SVI and give it a default gateway . If you are just tranferring it from your pc then set your pc address into the same address space make sure your tftpserver program is running and start your transfer.

conf t

no ip routing

int vlan 1

ip adresss xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

no shut

exit

ip default-gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

address of the gateway off the subnet.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Edit - apologies i didn't read your post fully.

Have you tried enabling routing first ie.

3550(config)# ip routing

int fa0/2

no switchport

ip address ....

Jon

yes, I tried enabling ip routing, but the command did not work. Once I get the IP address on the interface, then the upgrade is easy.

David

What do you mean by "it did not work". When you entered that command what happened ?

What does a "sh ip route" show.

What version of IOS are you running ?

What does the interface config look like at the moment ?

Jon

I have a feeling this is not a 3550, can you send us a show version? 3550 on up are the only L3 switch that can do L3 functionality. Anything below like 29x0, 2900XL, 3500XL are strictly L2

BTW, you don't necessarily need the interface to be L3. you can make it "switchport access vlan x", then create an SVI, interface vlan x and put the ip address on that interface vlan, it will work the same way as having a physical L3 port.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post a "show version " ?

Sorry it took a while to get the information.

Attached is the show version, logging when I try to convert a switchport to a routed port, and the show tech. I have another 3550 sitting, which was loaded by cisco with a more recent image and it can do routing and will accept a the commands

without a fuss. Thanks a million.

That is old so maybe it didn't have much functionality back then . All you have to do then is put an address on the vlan 1 SVI and give it a default gateway . If you are just tranferring it from your pc then set your pc address into the same address space make sure your tftpserver program is running and start your transfer.

conf t

no ip routing

int vlan 1

ip adresss xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

no shut

exit

ip default-gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

address of the gateway off the subnet.

Thank you. It worked.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card