cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HP Procurve Switches and Cisco IP Phones

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone have any configurations for HP 2610 series switches for Cisco IPT ?? Doing a deployment next week and customer just sprung on me they purchased HP switches. I have never configured them and have none in lab to work with. Any known issues with no CDP to advertise voice vlan etc ?? I assume all ports will just have to be trunk ports.

thanks in advance,

11 Replies 11

dual_line
Level 1
Level 1

One point to note. HP switches listen to CDP, they do not 'speak' it.

To successfully install Cisco phones on HP switches you'll need to use the latest phone firmware images which support LLDP/MED.

We found by default that Cisco phones being shipped to us did not have the correct firmware image which meant that when connected to a HP switch they booted into the data VLAN. We had to apply a workaround by configuring option 150 in the Data VLAN DHCP scopes, after the phones had upgraded they then booted into the correct Voice VLAN via LLDP/MED.

I have example configs if you need them.

What version of CUCM/CME are you currently running?

YES, please let me take a peek at your config's, very interested. So you are saying the new hp switches can indeed support lldp, that's great, but I have not yet implemented lldp in an IPT deployment, simply because it's always a cisco only solution. This deployment ALL LAYER 2 will be HP, layer 3 routing and all other hardware / software will be cisco. CUCM and Unity will be version 7 phones will be 7942 and 7962's. Are you certain the firmware even in 7.0 doesnt support lldp ?? I could look that up. Please go direct on configs (dgenton@insight.com) as i have 2 more days before the hp access layers go in.

thanks in advance.

dave

Dave,

I don't think you will run into the same issues that we had as you're deploying 7942/62's on v7. The phones we rolled out on procurve switches were all of the 79x1 family. I believe the firmware required is 8.3 and above! I've checked the documentation, it looks like 79x2 ship with this firmware.

Using LLDP is simple. You'll notice on the device page for phones in CUCM7 that LLDP can be toggled on/off with 'on' being the default setting. It's also enabled by default on the HP switches. By the time you finish this deployment CDP will be a distant memory! ;)

I'll forward an example switch config tomorrow when I'm back in the office. I think you'll be surprised at how basic they are!

GREAT ! Thanks so much for the info and I appreciate you forwarding an HP config. In the meantime I am going to try and use LLDP in my lab to be familiar with it on the cisco switch side as well,

thanks again,

michaeljbyrne
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the same boat. The client does not want to use cisco switches they prefer HP and are standing firm on it. Hpw would I handle QOS on the hp switches? Is there an auto-qos command?

We didnt explore the QoS features on these switches as we simply remarked RTP/Control traffic at the L3 trust boundry on the router. All of the sites we deployed with these switches were branch offices consisting of a single switch and router. Thankfully the core network was based around Cisco 3750s.

They are really simple to configure, if you dont know the CLI just type "menu" and use the menu driven, then take a peek at the running config, and you can learn the cli pretty quick. For QoS just one command, qos type diff-services and leaving the ports at default seems to be best as it can detect and go access port or "trunk" up with a phone, but technically not trunk. Only issue I am having is that the voice is running on the data "untagged" vlan and it is getting ip address there. Doesnt appear that the "voice" tagged vlan is being picked up by the phone, but without CDP I gotta figure out what the heck, LLDP seems to be working fine, just on wrong vlan is all

Dave, this is the issue i was talking about in relation to firmware versions!

Sure is, I was told this firmware was recent enough, apparently not, just does lldp is all. What version did you go to ?? Mine are running, load file sccp42.8-4-1S

Thanks,

Dave

Interesting, the load we use is 8-3-SR1S. This definitely supports LLDP-MED and the 'voice' command in the vlan config. I dont understand why your later version of firmware does not. Perhaps somebody from Cisco could comment?!

It is indeed working !! Thanks for the help. I reloaded the HP switch since I had made all those VLAN changes etc. and now the phone shows voice vlan as operational vlan, and also got an ip address off the correct subnet now. I was trying to load 8.4.3 firmware on the server but couldnt get it to go for some reason, kind of glad it hesitated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: