cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 INTERNET FAILOVER

bestdefense
Level 1
Level 1

USING AN ASA 5505, CAN I ATTACH AN ISP CONNECTION TO PORT "0" ON THE ASA, AND HAVE IT FAIL-OVER TO PORT "1" WITH A DIFFERENT ISP IF THE ISP ON PORT 1 FAILS?

SEE THE ATTACHED DIAGRAM, I AM ATTEMPTING TO CREATE REDUNDANT LINKS WITH A WIRELESS NETWORK. IF I CAN DO IT WITH A NETGEAR FVS336G I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE IT CAN'T BE DONE WITH A ASA 5505.

ONE CONSULTING COMPANY IS TELLING ME THE ASA 5505 AS A SINGLE UNIT IS NOT CAPABLE OF THIS AND I NEED AT LEAST A 5520 OR OTHER MORE CAPABLE DEVICE.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE ASA 5505 ACCOMPLISHING THIS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2 Replies 2

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

The ASA 5505 adaptive security appliance supports active and standby failover, but not Stateful Failover.

In a failover configuration, the two units must have the same hardware configuration They must be the same model, have the same number and types of interfaces, and the same amount of RAM.

Does that mean we need two ASA 5505's at each site interconnected with the failover cable? Or is there ANY way to make it work with a single ASA 5505 at each site.

Thank you for your reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: