cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS - Policing 6509

gizbri
Level 1
Level 1

I have been doing policing on a 6509 to limit the bandwidth from one host to another (Netapp Snapmirror traffic). When using the following police config it produced a steady 8.5 mb stream.

police cir 8500000 bc 265625 be 265625 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop violate-action drop

We have more bandwidth available and we want to bring it up to 18mb limit. Is there an optimal be / bc setting to produce the constant stream? When I bring the command up to police cir 18000000 we are seeing inconsistent stream

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could you further explain what's an "inconsistent stream"? I.e., what's the problem you think you're seeing.

Thanks for the response. With the original police command , it streamed at a constant 8.5 mb. When I raised the speed up to 18mb we see the stream of traffic bounce between 8 and 18 mb. It was my though that is was doing more re-transmissions at the higher rate therefore, the fluctuation.

That might just be the nature of the traffic and especially how it interacts with the policer.

If you want to confirm the policer is working correctly, you would need to use a traffic generator where you can control the rate being sent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco