cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing / subnets

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all. if I have 1 pc on the 10.112.0.0/16 network and the other on the 10.112.1/24 network, will they be able to see each other, I would have thought that they would, but the pcon the /24 net would only see things on the same range, then it would stop.

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

10.112.0.0 /16 covers 10.122.0.0 thru 10.112.255.255 so they are both part of the same subnet . Why you would use a 10.112.0.0/16 subnet I have no idea. The way you have it the subnets are overlapping.

Sherwin Clarke
Level 1
Level 1

One subnet is a subset of the other, but they are not the same subnets so you still need a routing device to route traffic between the two subnets

subnets overlapping indeed. Change subnet 10.112.0.0/16 to 10.112.0.0/24

In theory though if plugged in directly should they work?

Also , could you actually use the 10.112.0.0/24 subnet, or would the first subent need to be 10.112.1.0 ?

Hi Carl,

Yes, you can use first subnet 10.112.0.0/24. Between the PCs no problem at all using this 1st subnet. But when you configure this subnet on the Routers and Switches, you need to make sure you have "ip subnet-zero" configured to allow you to use this subnet. Now a days, Cisco enable this command as a default to make it work.

The important thing is you should not have an overlaping ranges between the 2 devices. It will partially work and hence cause confusions when troubleshooting any problems.

Hope this helps....

Shaheen

can you tell me what you mean by partially work? do you mean only the part at which they overlap will work?

cheers

Carl

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco