cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 MGCP Gateway some ports dropping registration

ten
Level 1
Level 1

We have about a dozen VG224 located at a site using MGCP.

The problem is, initially the gateway will register with CCM but over time various ports on the gateway will lose their registration with CCM.

Users will complain they get no dial tone from the phone or a busy signal when calling the number.

Issuing the “show ccm” and “show mgcp” commands on the VG itself indicate that it is registered but if you look at the port causing problems in CCM it shows up “not registered” or “unknown”

On the advice of Cisco we upgraded the IOS from vg224-i6k9s-mz.124-15.T8.bin to vg224-i6k9s-mz.124-22.T.bin but we still see the issue.

All the links are running clean and error free so it doesn't look like a network issue.

Anybody ever seen this issue?

4 Replies 4

A lot of these issues are bug related. Every now and then it comes down to a network related issue of lost packets. If they don't eventually re-register you could have either a gateway or CUCM problem.

Since they're so closely tied together it can be very difficult to figure out which is the problem.

Things that may help you figure out what's going on (or identify the bug):

show voice port summary

show voice call summary

show mgcp endpoint

Do these when the port is unregistered and it will give you some hints on where to look.

hth,

nick

nicmatth,

Thanks for the info.

Let me ask you this.

Is there command I could place in the config to get a port has lost registration to automatically try to re-register?

A timer command or perhaps a "# of retries" command?

Or does the ccm-manager config command do this?

It should try to re-register.

What I'm guessing is happening is that the voice-port itself is getting in a BAD state. This makes the router think that the port is down. When the port is down, it doesn't try to register.

When the port is reset/reloaded on MGCP or CCM, the gateway by default does a 'shut' 'no shut' on the voice port, which generally clears stuck port problems.

hth,

nick

Sergey Popov
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem. Sometimes I have busy signal on my fax machine and I have to reset port. After that it works fine. But it happens every day!

Have yuo fix this issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: