cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup Engine not powering up

anva12345
Level 1
Level 1

we connected two supengine(WS-X45-SUP6-E)to two 4506-E chasis core switches(primary and secondary).But one sup engine is not powering up.checked again by swapping the sup engine.then the one which was not powered earlier comes up and the one which was working goes down and not powering up.swapped the sup engines again then both went down.please tell me wht could be the problem

5 Replies 5

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

I just want to make sure that you are aware that the Supervisor Engine 6-E is supported in the Catalyst 4503, 4506, 4507R, 4510R, 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R-E, and 4510R-E switches. On the Catalyst 4503, 4503-E, 4506, and 4506-E switches, you CAN install the Supervisor Engine 6-E ONLY in slot 1. I want to make sure that you are not installing the two sups in the same chassis and the sup in slot 2 is not powering up. This would be the reason.

If you are installing a single sup in each chassis and you are installing it in slot 1 then the issue might be with teh chassis since both of the sups are powering up in the same chassis but both sup will not power up in the other chassis. I should also mentioned to make sure the other chassis's PS are both powered up.

Thanks Bosalaza for for your quick response

I conneceted the sup Engine to the slot 1 of both the switches.only one power supply of both switch is connected now.Is neccessary to connect both PS of each chasis

I could not find anything that requires both PS be connected but you should try connecting both PS if they are not connected to eliminate that PS issue possibility.

mkaften
Level 1
Level 1

I've got the same issue, but with only one sup engine. We just bought two 4503-E switches. Two chassis, two sup engines, four power supplies. The line cards have not arrived yet. I've tried every combination of chassis, engine, and power supply. Nothing works. The status light on the engine is off and I get no feedback in a terminal connected to the Console port. The power supplies light up good, and the fans are going, including the built-in fan. It's hard to believe that I've got all bad components. The only thing I can think of is, maybe the unit needs a line card...but that doesn't make sense. You should be able to operate with only the internal NICs on the sup engine. Every component is "6-E". Anyone have any ideas?

I've recently had a similar problem which was resolved by "FIRMLY" but safely inserting the supervisor cards into a 4500 chassis, I spent days tryin lots of stuff even got another 4500 chassis, PSUs and supervisor... only to have the CCIE guy spank the module in and viola...

Just please be careful if you decide to be a little "forceful" I cannot be responsible if you bust it by over zealousness!

Hope this helps.

- Sudo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card